Julian Fontana’s Bicentenary

Started by Peter1953, Monday 25 January 2010, 21:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter1953

Anyone ever heard of the piano music by Julian Fontana (1810-1869)? A Polish composer (his ancestors were Italian), lifelong friend (and a pupil for many years) of Chopin, piano virtuoso, soldier, traveller and so on. Chopin dedicated his Polonaise in A major, op. 40, to Fontana.
On a CD of the Polish Acte Préalable label (released in 2007) some of his piano works are selected and beautifully played by the young Polish pianist Hubert Rutkowski (b. 1981).

Fontana's piano works on this disc show his craftmanship. In some of the miniatures we recognize the style of Chopin, of course, but on the other hand these works are based upon the Polish mazurka's. In 1844 Fontana travelled to Cuba, and his study of the Latin-American and Cuban local music resulted in some interesting works in "Spanish" style, like La Havanna, Fantaisie sur des motifs Américains et Espagnols, op. 10 and the Souvenirs de l'Ile de Cuba, op. 12.

Warmly recommended to everyone who likes Romantic piano music and is interested in very unknown, but unjustly neglected Polish composers.

thalbergmad

I have only ever played one of his transcriptions which was of Bellini's Sonnambula. It seemed to me of little value, so I did not investigate further.

Not looked at any original works, so perhaps i need to.

Thal

Peter1953

That's the opening track, but I quite like it with his brilliant and sometimes "Chopinesque" passages. But Thal, Fontana surely wasn't a Thalberg.
However, as you like to play the piano I shouldn't be surprised if you like (some of) his other works.

Marcus

Hi Peter,
I had never heard of Julian Fontana. I wonder how many such composers are out there to be discovered ?
He was an intimate friend of Chopin and published that composers  posthumous works in Paris in 1865.
I checked Groves and they list the following piano compositons:
Marche Funebre,Reverie,Elegia, nocturnes,romances,etudes, waltzes, ballads and songs. He also composed Reminiscences de Havana and Souvenir de Kuba. I presume those works are for piano, but they may be orchestral.
He lost his wife in 1857 and never recovered from the depression brought on by her death. He committed suicide on 31/12/1869.
I am learning something new every day ! Thanks Peter I will seek out the disc, I never tire of Chopin.
Cheers!
Marcus.

Ref: Groves 5th Ed.

Martin Eastick

Hi Peter,

You may be interested to visit Fontana's website (julianfontana.com) - there is a quite detailed works list here, with some scores available for download! I must say that I am rather keen on his original works (mazurkas, revereies, polonaises, etc etc) and look forward with anticipation to the next instalment from Acte Prealable!

Peter1953

Marcus and Martin, thanks very much for your enthusiastic posts. Indeed, Martin, Julian Fontana's website is quite informative. If he only had known how we discuss his music so positively in the 21st century...He had such a tough life, with a lot of sorrowful events.

There are more interesting discoveries of unknown Polish composers of fine music. In fact, recently I also acquired two CDs with piano music of Roman Statkowski (1859-1925), a composer who wrote music in a romantic style. I think his music is hardly less interesting than Fontana's, but different. Also recommended!

I think Acte Prealable has more lately rediscovered Polish romantic music to offer.

Jonathan

Fontana - another one for the wishlist!
Correct me if I am wrong someone but didn't he publish a catalogue of Chopin's works or was responsible for editing the works after Op.66 into the forms we know them now?  It's just his name rings bells...

Peter1953

That's right, Jonathan. Fontana published Chopin's works opp. 66-74. The booklet notes says: "This work on the posthumous publication took almost ten years.  Reconstructing the gaps in the texts of the compositions with vivid images of his master's performances that he retained in his memory, Fontana saved many Chopin ideas from oblivion."

Marcus

Hello Peter 1953,
The Acte Prealable label are unearthing some gems. I recently purchased the Kania (1827-1887) & Zelenski (1837-1921) discs. Late romantic music which deserves to be heard. Zelenski's Piano Sonata in E minor op20, is a beautiful work, and Emanuel Kania's two works, Cello Sonata in A minor & Piano Trio in G minor, are worthy additions to  the unknown chamber music catalogue.
A disc of Polish orchestral music which was the real eye -opener for me was the Accord Cd, ( # 011 369-2), released in 1996, containing overtures & symphonic poems by K.Kurpinski (1785-1857) ( an overture Rossini would have been proud of), I.F.Dobrzynski (1807-1867), (some of his chamber works ,currently available on CD, are proof of his ability, and there are 2 Symphonies awaiting revival), S.Moniuszko (1819-1872), W.Zelenski (1837-1921), & Z. Noskowski (1846 -1909). Sterling recently released Noskowski's Symphony no1, and when I first heard his Symphonic Poeme "The Steppe" a few years ago, I realised just how much Polish music of quality waits to be discovered. I think the Sterling disc has proved that.
Marcus.

Peter1953

Thanks, Marcus.

Noskowski's symphony 1 is an utterly gem. See the special thread. His piano and chamber music is lovely too, but the orchestral music is of an exceptional high level.

Now we're discussing Polish unsungs, I wonder if anybody is familiar with Theodor Leschetizky (1830-1915)? His PC is recorded a few times, and some of his piano music as well (on Marco Polo and Acte Prealable). And how about the piano music of Józef Wieniawski (1837-1912)?

Mark Thomas

Polish romantic music is a very rich seam indeed and Polish Radio has done a great job over the years of recording it. Some of the performances which have come out on CD began life as radio recordings. It's worth checking the schedule of Polish Radio Dwójka (use Google translate if your Polish is a bit rusty). Early every morning their programme Fantazja polska features music by Polish composers, for an hour on weekdays and four hours at weekends, in performances from the archives. Recording from internet radio is not difficult and will yield you some real gems.

Peter1953

Thanks, Mark. This is a good idea and worth trying.

Marcus

Hello Peter 1953,
I have the two Marco Polo CDs.  of Leschetizky's music :
Piano Concertoop9 ,Overture Die Erste Faite, Suite Contes de Jeunesse op46 ,Andante Finale for LH op13,Suite: A la campagne op40, Two pieces op35, Souvenir D'Ischl, Marche militaire op17, Six Mediatations op19, La melusine, Reponse, L'approche du printemps, Berceuse Decouragement,Consolation,Intermezzo en octaves op44 no4, Aria op36no1, Three pieces op48 - prelude humoresque, intermezzo scherzando etude heroique.
I have had those for years,(1996), so there are probably many others by now.
Marcus.

Jonathan

Quote from: Peter1953 on Tuesday 26 January 2010, 20:42
That's right, Jonathan. Fontana published Chopin's works opp. 66-74. The booklet notes says: "This work on the posthumous publication took almost ten years.  Reconstructing the gaps in the texts of the compositions with vivid images of his master's performances that he retained in his memory, Fontana saved many Chopin ideas from oblivion."

Thanks Peter, I knew I was right!!

billrod

Greetings. I was pleased to read the many favorable comments about my great-great-grandfather Julian Fontana and my website www.julianfontana.com. It has taken many years to gather the information and to spread the word about his life and music. I was invited to the Chopin Festival 2010 in Warsaw as a guest of honor and it was heartwarming to hear many scholars and musicians praise Fontana for his work and contributions to Chopin's legacy. Feel free to contact me if you are interested in additional information.