Romantic Piano Works by Danish Women

Started by Marcus, Friday 29 January 2010, 08:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcus

Danacord are about to release a CD entitled "Romantic Piano Works by Danish Women" (DACOCD #680)
I am looking forward to hearing the Piano Sonata by Hilda Sehested. If it is of the same quality as her Cello writing(DaCapo #8/224052), I will be satisfied.
The new Danacord disc as follows:
-Theme, Passionne et Variations nos 1-20 by Nanna (N.M.) Liebmann (1849-1935)
-Instructive Studies by Benna Moe (1897-1989)
-Sonata in A flat major by Hilda Sehested (1858-1936)
On the subject of Danish women composers, I can reccomend the Dacapo disc from 1999 of chamber music by Nancy Dalberg. (1881-1949) If you like late romantic works with a neo classic tinge, you will enjoy this disc.The 2nd String Quartet in G minor is the highlight for me.  Dalberg also wrote a small number of works, including a  Symphony in C minor (1917), (rare for a women in Denmark at the time ?), orchestral works, chamber music, piano music  and songs, and was a pupil of Johann Svendsen, Fini Henriques, & Carl Nielsen. Her chilhood idol was Hilda Sehested, who lived nearby.
When  her Symphony was presented at a concert in 1918, a critic wrote "A lady who writes orchestral works is a rarity; a lady who attempts a symphony, a phenomenon. Her symphony was so well written, that it would have done justice to many of her male colleagues" An attitude which still prevailed in Europe & elsewhere at the time. Svendsen's & Nielsen's styles, as you would expect,  are detectable in her work, although  her 3rd String Quartet, was criticised as exhibiting a "sophisticated tonal idiom" For this reason, she wrote only chamber music & songs after 1918. (from the excellent booklet notes usually provided by Dacapo & Danacord)
Another Danish female contemporary composer was Tekla Wandall (1866-1940).
Marcus