Albert Moeschinger(1897-1985): a Catalogue of the Orchestral music

Started by Dundonnell, Saturday 23 June 2012, 00:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

ALBERT MOESCHINGER: A CATALOGUE OF THE ORCHESTRAL MUSIC

1928:    "Das Posthorn" for baritone, male chorus and orchestra or male chorus, four horns and strings, op. 15: 15 minutes
1930:      Concerto for Piano and Chamber Orchestra, op. 18: 20 minutes
1931:      Variations and Finale on a theme by Henry Purcell for strings, timpani and small drum, op. 32: 20 minutes
                Concerto for Piano and Chamber Orchestra(Piano Concerto No.5), op.23: 25 minutes
1933:      Divertimento for strings, op. 34: 25 minutes
1935/49:Concerto for Violin and String Orchestra or Orchestra, op.40: 20 minutes
1938:      Concerto for Piano and String orchestra, op.42: 18 minutes
1939:      Cantata "Tag unseres Volkes" for soprano, contralto, tenor, baritone, chorus and orchestra, op. 46: 60 minutes
1940:      "Prelude et Dialogue" for tenor, baritone, speaker and string orchestra, op. 47: 35 minutes    +   (Skarbo cd)
1941:      Suite of dances and songs "Visions du moyen age" for tenor or mezzo-soprano, clarinet and string orchestra, op.52: 36 minutes
1943:      Suite for orchestra, op.56: 20 minutes
1944:      "Fantasia 1944" for string orchestra, op.64: 14 minutes
1945:      Suite "Der Herbst des Einsamen" for female choir and string orchestra, op. 69: 25 minutes
                "Slow Dance" for small orchestra: 4 minutes
                Festive Music for the Inauguration of the "Metteln" for soprano, bass and string orchestra: 25 minutes
1946:      "Ode an Aphrodite" for female choir and orchestra: 5 minutes
                Symphony No.1, op.71: 20 minutes
1948:      Symphony No.2, op.73: 25 minutes
                Cantata "Das Moorchen von der kleinen Seejungfrau" for eight soloists, chorus and orchestra, op. 75: 50 minutes
1950:      Symphony No.3, op. 76: 30 minutes
1951-52:"Le voyage" for string orchestra: 11 minutes
1952:      Sonatine for Oboe and String Orchestra: 8 minutes
1953:      Piano Concerto, op.77: 20 minutes
1954:      Trumpet Concerto, op.78: 15 minutes
                "Quatre pieces breves" for string orchestra: 8 minutes
1955:       Ballet "Amor und Psyche", op.79: 40 minutes (and Ballet Suite, op.79a:20 minutes)
1957:     Symphony No.4 ("In Memoriam Arthur Honegger"), op.80: 20 minutes
               Symphonic Ballad for orchestra, op.82: 15 minutes
             "Scherzo musicale" for string orchestra: 4 minutes
1958:   "Concerto Lyrique" for Saxophone and Orchestra, op. 83: 15 minutes    *    + (Skarbo cd)
1958/80:"Salve venia" for flute, clarinet and strings: 8 minutes
1959:   Impromptu for orchestra, op.88: 6 minutes
             Allegro festivo for orchestra: 6 minutes
1960:   Concerto for Clarinet, String Orchestra and percussion, op.83b: 16 minutes
             Symphony No.5, op. 89: 19 minutes
1961:   "Labyrinth" for orchestra, op. 94: 10 minutes
1963:   Fantaisie concertante for Flute, Clarinet, Bassoon and Orchestra, op. 95:11 minutes
1963/80:"Aus meinem Tagebuch" for chamber orchestra: 5 minutes
1964:   Piano Concerto, op. 96: 20 minutes
             "Extra muros" for wind orchestra and percussion, op. 97: 10 minutes
             Capriccio for Bassoon and Small Orchestra: 8 minutes
1965:   Consort for strings, op.99: 10 minutes
             "Toccata cromatica" for Piano and instrumental ensemble: 12 minutes
1966:   "Sarcasmes" for orchestra, op.101: 7 minutes
              Ballet Music "Ignis divinis" for orchestra, op.102: 15 minutes
             "Fanfara sfrenata" for Trumpet and Orchestra: 6 minutes
             Concerto da camera for Harpsichord and Chamber Orchestra: 17 minutes
1968:   Concertante for Saxophone and Chamber Orchestra, op. 103: 12 minutes
1969:   "Erratique" for orchestra, op.104: 10 minutes
1970:   "On ne traverse pas la nuit" for orchestra: 12 minutes    +  (Skarbo cd)
              Piano Concerto No.5: 14 minutes
1972:   "Tres Caprichos" for orchestra: 15 minutes
1973:   "Petite Suite" for orchestra: 10 minutes
             "Entrée et scherzo ingénu" for orchestra: 10 minutes
1974:   "Fantaisie" for orchestra: 10 minutes
1975:   Passacaglia "Stati d'animo" for orchestra: 8 minutes
             "Homo et fatum" for orchestra: 12 minutes
1976:   "Chiaroscuro: Three Musical Thoughts" for string orchestra: 15 minutes
             "Blocs sonores" for two orchestras: 12 minutes
             "Ballade de minuit" for Violin and Orchestra: 9 minutes
1977:   "Variations mysterieuses" for orchestra: 16 minutes
1978:   "Etude pour instruments d'orchestre": 12 minutes

and

other works for brass or wind band

Source:

http://www.albertmoeschinger.ch/

eschiss1

Worldcat mentions CDs of
"On ne traverse pas la nuit" (on a 1988 CD by Communauté de travail pour la diffusion de la musique suisse, coupled with some chamber works and the Concerto Lyrique Op.83 and the Cantate "Prélude et dialogue" Op.47. (the Library of Congress of the US has this disc.)
Op.99 "Consort for strings" (?) is on a 2003 Öffentliche Bibliothek der Universität CD.
The 4th and 5th piano concertos, with some solo works, are on another 2003 Öffentliche Bibliothek der Universität CD. (Again, this all from Worldcat with some checking to make sure LPs weren't being misreported as CDs, as happens, etc.)
(Hrm. These are, from the descriptions, generally remasterings or at least issues of recordings made rather earlier, but in any case there's a number of these 2003 Öffentliche Bibliothek der Universität CDs of Moeschinger's music listed by Worldcat... well, let's see... ! )

3. (my numbering for convenience :) ) contains the 1975 Stati d'animo : passacaglia pour orchestre, the 1976 Aforismi per complesse da camera, the 1978 Etudes for orchestral instruments (may not be an orchestral works), and some chamber works ;
4. has op.97 Extra muros for winds ; and the Concerto da camera for cembalo and small orchestra.
5. the op.101 sarcasms for orchestra. (and works by others etc.)
6. a recording on this label of the 4th symphony, Erratique for orchestra, the Fantasie for strings op.64 and two chamber works (2004 CD.)
also:
Symphony no.4 op.80 is also on a Zürich : Schweizer Radio DRS, [2000] CD (this may not count as a commercial CD. I don't know- have to see if it's sold commercially...  some of these seem to be only held, so far as Worldcat knows, by the University of Basel. Hrm.)

Dundonnell

Thank you very much, Eric, for your time and trouble :)

I have added the recording on the Skarbo label of "On ne traverse pas la nuit", the Concerto Lyrique and "Prelude et dialogue".

I am not entirely convinced about the other recordings and whether or not they are actually commercially available. In any case they are so obscure as to make them almost certainly virtually inaccessible :(

eschiss1

Hrm. It does seem that the commercially distributed recordings of Moeschinger's music (through amazon.com and .de eg) are of his chamber music. Though perhaps the others -might- be available directly from their sources. Will look into a little just in case :) I thought something of his was on Thorofon but I think I was confusing him with someone else!

Ah, I hadn't even seen this site yet (though it was probably your source...) (hrm. sound samples and score excerpts of/from the concertos opp.77 and 83 and the symphony no.4... neat.)

Dundonnell

It was my source ;D

I should add that :-[

If you do find out more about these other recordings please report back. I shall happily add them if they can be purchased.