Karl Weigl(1881-1949): a Catalogue of the Orchestral Music

Started by Dundonnell, Saturday 23 June 2012, 02:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

Following discussion of this composer recently :)  The chronology may well have a number of errors since there appears to be some doubt about the dates of composition in some cases.

KARL WEIGL: A CATALOGUE OF THE ORCHESTRAL MUSIC

1901:     Psalm 71 for women's chorus and orchestra
1905:      Rhapsodie for strings
1908:      Symphony No.1 in E, op.5     *
1909/22:Suite "Bilder und Geschiten" for small orchestra, op. 2
1912-22:Symphony No.2 in D minor "Pro Defunctis", op.19
1921:      Fantastic Intermezzo for orchestra, op.18: 14 minutes    *    +  (BIS cd)
                Symphonic Cantata "Weltfeier" for tenor, baritone, chorus and orchestra, op.17
1924:      Concerto for Piano Left-Hand and Orchestra in E: 37 minutes   *
1928:      Violin Concerto: 28 minutes     *
1930-31:Symphony No.3 in B flat
1931:      Piano Concerto in F minor, op.21: 30 minutes
1932:      Suite from the Opera "Der Rattenfanger von Hameln", op.24
1933:      Rhapsodie for string orchestra, op.30: 30 minutes     + (Preiser cd)
                Comedy Overture, op.32: 10 minutes    *
                Symphonic Prelude to a Tragedy for orchestra
1934:      Cello Concerto
1936:      Symphony No.4 in F minor
1938:      Festival Overture
1939:      Spring Overture for small orchestra ("Music for the Young")
               "Old Vienna" for orchestra; 19 minutes    +  (BIS cd)
1940:      Rhapsody for Piano and Orchestra
1942:      Three Intermezzi(Little Suite) for string orchestra
                "Summer Evening" for string orchestra
1945:      Symphony No.5 "Apocalyptic": 49 minutes   * + (BIS cd)
1947:      Symphony No.6 in A minor: 39 minutes   +  (BIS cd)

and

"Fruhlingsfeier" for four singers, women's chorus and orchestra
Three Songs for male voice and orchestra

eschiss1

according to the Yale Finding Aid I note that the rhapsody for strings seems to be maybe more of a sort of op.30bis (an arrangement for string orchestra of his sextet for strings in D minor op.30) or something. Ah no, now I understand- it's op.30, I don't know if the string sextet has an opus number?- have to check...

ah. The op.30 is a transcription (parts published in 1933) of a rather earlier work indeed - "Mahler arranged performances of some of his works, including his (Weigl's) String Sextet, premiered in Vienna in 1907 by the Rosé Quartet".
Symphony no.2 has the nickname "Pro Defunctis" according to the biography at the Yale site.
The Weigl Foundation has been publishing some works it seems (sym. 6 in a 2003 publication in score and parts can be found at the Free Library of Philadelphia.)

Cantatas with orchestra:
also re Weltfeier, op.17 (symphonische Kantate für Tenor und hohen Bass (soli), gemischten Chor und Orchester / Karl Weigl; Text nach Gedichten von Heinrich Hart: premiered 1921, published in vocal score 1924 after award of a prize by the City of Vienna that year so c.1921 may be better.

It seems pretty clear the 3rd symphony is probably in B-flat, judging from the use of German in the sources that have it as "in B" while other works are "in d moll" etc. - by analogy "B" is "B-flat", not B major which would be  "H"- tentatively awaiting view of the actual score. FLP's (Free Library of Philadelphia/Fleisher Collection) catalog entry for the work (ms. score, 281 pages, and parts; 1. Allegro molto -- 2. Adagio -- 3. Allegro) does say B-flat.
(As with some other cases or so I am guessing, apparently according to the Yale biography Vally Weigl, Karl's widow, was in part responsible for the Fleisher collection having such a large collection of these manuscripts, having gotten in touch with them to store these works.)

minacciosa

A couple of notes that may help.

The 3rd Symphony is definitely in B flat. I have a score with me at the moment.

The Foundation commissioned new material for the 2003 performances and recording of the 6th Symphony, but it is still considered to be published by Boosey. The same is true for the Violin Concerto, for which new performance material is being created presently.

minacciosa

One further works for voices and orchestra:
71st Psalm for Women's Chorus and Orchestra (1901)