News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

A Hyperion yawn?

Started by Alan Howe, Sunday 24 June 2012, 15:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Lionel Harrsion

This and the Schumann Concerto releases make me wonder if their coffers need topping-up after all the unsung stuff they have been producing in the RPC and RVC series (and others).

minacciosa

Still I wonder, who would buy this? I just don't need anybody's Mendelssohn concerto any more.

Lionel Harrsion

Well, I wouldn't but hopefully lots of people will if the profit subsidizes recordings of more enterprising repertoire.

JimL

Please note that this is NOT part of their RVC series.

TerraEpon

Well it DOES have the D minor concerto...

JimL

Hope somebody noticed the error on the movements.  Finale of the E minor concerto, specifically. 

eschiss1

Mendelssohn's output -does- (if I recall; I should check the R. Larry Todd biography I've skimmed via Google Books, to recheck) contain enough fragments and almost completely unrecorded completed works that Hyperion could be kept busy for awhile if they wanted to do that, though, in all seriousness. The two unfinished symphonies (in C (1845) and B-flat) - well, I've only seen the C major one, in piano reduction (whose opening reminds me of something and I only think I remember what. Now I forget, again :) ) - but I shouldn't mind hearing them, and any orchestration that exists (or might be made by interested parties, even without completion, of the two existing movements.)  And that's just one... (Todd mentions an unfinished oratorio Christus, op.97, for instance...)
I'm being a little unfair; they have done very well by many little-known works of his- songs, liturgical works, etc. - but Hyperion or someone could do for Mendelssohn something like what they did for Liszt (... after a fashion) in less time (not quite as interesting in Mendelssohn's case perhaps- though- I shouldn't guess before the fact, and I expect some real discoveries any case.)
Anyway. Sorry. Meandering and -really- off-topic. I stop there.

Alan Howe

Quote from: JimL on Sunday 24 June 2012, 17:59
Please note that this is NOT part of their RVC series.

Admittedly that would have been worse, so this must be an intended money-spinner as Lionel has suggested. The rationale behind it is surely the use of the Orchestra of the Age of the Enlightenment - presumably we should expect a HIP performance overall. Anyway, I have enough versions of the E minor VC already and at least one of the early D minor concerto, so this is a non-starter for me. Nevertheless, if it makes Hyperion some money...

Gareth Vaughan

Well, I think this is the point really. The mainstream repertore sells, even with so many different performances (and, who knows? - this one may shed new light on these perennial favourites). I'll bet Hyperion sell more copies of this disk than they do of most CDs in the "Romantic Concerto" series. If that gives them the money to record more unsung repertoire we should be jolly grateful, and stop carping!

Alan Howe

Oh I'm not really carping, I suppose. I do actually pay attention to most releases of the familiar VCs (and buy a fair few of them for comparison purposes and in order to keep my appreciation of them fresh), but friends will be familiar by now with my constant complaint that certain Romantic-era VCs appear not to figure in companies' recordings plans. Anyway, that's enough of me for the moment.

mbhaub

I see no problem with this at all. For collectors, it's a good thing: both of the concertos not just "the" Mendelssohn VC. And Fingal's Cave, which isn't recorded all that much. I haven't picked up a new version of the E minor many years. If this is a good recording, I might get it. The only complaint is the playing time. Could have added in another overture easily.

obermann

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Sunday 24 June 2012, 22:03
Well, I think this is the point really. The mainstream repertoire sells, even with so many different performances (and, who knows? - this one may shed new light on these perennial favourites). I'll bet Hyperion sell more copies of this disk than they do of most CDs in the "Romantic Concerto" series. If that gives them the money to record more unsung repertoire we should be jolly grateful, and stop carping!

It is also important to realise that sometimes the artist does sell the record. I have no idea of the sales figures but I would assume that Ibragimova has a fairly loyal and growing audience - personally I thought her set of Bach Partitas was wonderful. She has already recorded the Roslavets concertos and I suspect she will continue to record a mixture of the sung and the unsung.

Gareth Vaughan

Quotethe artist does sell the record

Yes - that's another very important factor.

Ilja

Quote from: Lionel Harrsion on Sunday 24 June 2012, 16:40
Well, I wouldn't but hopefully lots of people will if the profit subsidizes recordings of more enterprising repertoire.

There is a misunderstanding that releasing something in the 'iron repertoire' would necessarily help in topping up coffers. It may, but certainly not in the short run. Niche repertoire is usually bought by a select but very faithful group of aficionados. That makes it possible for small labels to offload the bulk of a release in a fairly short time. Main repertory releases have to deal with far more competition, including lots of bottom-price CDs. In the long run, however, they may generate greater profits.