Henselt Piano Trio in a minor, Opus 24

Started by Steven Eldredge, Sunday 10 May 2009, 02:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven Eldredge

I got my copy of the Henselt Trio in the mail today, and I am playing it right now. Absolutely beautiful!! Thank you for recommending it to me, those of you who did so. The beginning brings to mind the Scottish Symphony of Mendelssohn. I am really looking forward to becoming familiar with it.

All the best.

JimL

Peter1953

Definitely a gorgeous and sparkling work full of catchy and even humorous themes, especially the first movement.
You have the MDG disk, I suppose. How about the lovely Berceuse? I think only Chopin's heavenly Berceuse surpasses Henselt's masterpiece with that same title.
We can only regret that Henselt stopped composing after the age of 30.

Steven, as a pianist you probably also have Henselt's Études (Hyperion) in your collection, but I can also strongly recommend "Piano Pieces/Klavierwerke" played by Rüdiger Steinfatt on Dontrie, a disk with 12 most enjoyable works.

Steven Eldredge

Peter,

I do have the Henselt Etudes on Hyperion, which is beautiful. I will investigate the solo works CD. I listened to the Trio again today, and it is indeed a fine piece. And the Berceuse is a real find. I would love to have the music for that one...