Vagn Holmboe's Chamber Symphonies

Started by Dundonnell, Saturday 07 July 2012, 20:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

Dacapa have announced that they will be plugging an important gap in the Holmboe discography with a forthcoming release of the three Chamber Symphonies:

http://www.dacapo-records.dk/en/recording-vagn-holmboe---chamber-symphonies.aspx

Given that many esteemed writers on music regard Holmboe as one of the 20th century's most important and distinguished composers and the finest Danish composer post-Carl Nielsen this is a significant release.

I hope that the company may follow this up with the remaining Holmboe concerti so far not recorded-the Violin Concerto No.2(1978-79), the Viola Concerto(1991-92) and the Concerto for String Quartet and Orchestra(1996-96). (There is also an early Violin Concerto from 1938).

Christo

eschiss1

Strictly speaking the 1991-92 viola concerto is his 2nd (since the numbering tends to include the concertos from the series that used to be called "chamber concertos", I think... well I think so, anyway...) and likewise the 1978-79 violin concerto is therefore the 3rd - anyhow, agreed. Those and the few surviving cantatas (he wrote something like 13 for various inauguration ceremonies, etc.; a couple were published in vocal score, I believe, but most are believed or known to be lost entirely- the full score of a few may survive??... I haven't heard any of those, I admit)- and the one surviving opera (the other is also lost, i gather, except in vocal score) would be good (not immediately! But I for one- after eventually becoming a fan of his music (some of which may be heard in the downloads board) (eventually meaning- hrm, around 1993 or 4?... on hearing his 8th quartet on LP, I think...) - didn't expect to hear, or see available, any, let alone so much, of this. Another happy story in my honest opinion (not in the sense of merely fortunate- I know a lot of work went into it on the part of many people (most especially Paul Rapoport in regards Holmboe), as in so many cases. Anyhow... rambling. But yes, glad of it :) )