message disappeared.

Started by Marcus, Sunday 07 February 2010, 11:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcus

Hello,
I was replying to a comment by Alan Howe re the Clifford Symphony, and had finished, and was reviewing it, when it suddenly disappeared, and reverted back to the original page. (blank reply page) There must be some problem with this web-site, as this is the second time it has happened to me. On the previous occasion, (29/1/10),the small rectangular log-on box appeared in the middle of the screen, and I did not alter the time limit showing 60 minutes, but ignored it , and used the log-on box on the top LH corner of the home page. (showing time limit forever).
If somebody accessed that page while I was replying, is it possible that the message  somehow disappears ?
Just further to this, tonight when I began to log- on, again, a  small rectangular box appeared in the middle of my screen, with a log-on facility and the time logged on was showing 60 minutes. I ignored that box and logged-on as I always do, using the box in the top left-hand corner of your home page-  time limit "forever".The small box which appeared tonight had not appeared for some time, why is that so ?I always log-on from the master page. (top left-hand corner) It is if someone is manipulating the site, perhaps unintentionally. I'll try again tomorrow, as I have had enough for tonight.
Marcus.

I have been trying to find the original message from Alan Howe "If you like Walton 1, you will like this..." (Composers & Music),and could not locate it. (I went straight to where it had been., to check if my message had posted) Then , suddenly after my searching for ten minutes, it has been re-instated.
Something strange happening here !
Marcus.

Mark Thomas

Marcus, I'm away from home at present and so can't do any troubleshooting. I'll look into this as soon as I get home. In the meantime, could you let me know what operating system and brower version you are using, please? e.g. Intenet Explorer 8.0 on Windows XP SP2. That information will let me check whether other users of forums based on this software have had the same problems.

Finally, has anybody else had any of these problems?

Marcus

Thanks Mark, no hurry. I am prepared to believe that many computer problems are inexplicable, sent to test us so to speak, so I will up the dose of my ulcer medication.  I use Windows XP system.
Marcus.

Mark Thomas

Thanks. And your browser, Marcus?

Marcus

Thanks Mark - Internet Browser 8.0
I have to admit, that I was on version 7.0. Not being very savvy with computers, I enlisted the help of my eldest daughter, who has installed version 8.0 tonight.
As you will guess from all of this, I am not compter literate, which is probably normal for my age group.
Marcus.

Mark Thomas

Thanks Marcus. I've already checked that, as far as it is able to self-troubleshoot, the software running the Forum reports no problems and that's to be expected as it is newly installed and unmodified. I'll now trawl around the software's support forums to see if anybody else using it has had similar problems. You certainly did the right thing in moving to Internet Explorer 8, although I'd recommend Firefox 3.5 as an even better bet, which would only take your daughter five minutes to install.

I'll get back to you.

Mark Thomas

Marcus, I've thoroughly trawled the SMF Forum and couldn't find any replication of your symptoms relating to disappearing posts in the edit window. So I contacted their technical support people, copying your posts. I have always found them very helpful.

They replied that they have only had one instance of this being reported to them in the last five years, and it transpired that the problem wasn't the software at all. The poster was accidentally hitting the ALT and left arrow key simultaneously. ALT+Left is the Internet Explorer keyboard shortcut which loads the previous page. This would certainly fit your symptoms and so I wonder if there is something about the layout of your keyboard which makes this an easy, if inadvertent, thing to do? Otherwise, in the absence of anybody else having the same problem, I'm stumped.

On the login box question, there are several reports on the SMF Forum which are similar and, again, it appears that the problem is likely to be at your end I'm afraid. The automatic login information is stored on your computer in a small text file called a "cookie", which is referred to by Internet Explorer when it reaches UnsungComposers.com and which should allow automatic login. If this file gets corrupted in any way, then erratic login behaviour, such as you have experienced, can occur. The simplest way to deal with this is to delete the cookie file and start again. Where the folder is which stores cookies will depend upon your operating system and how your computer is set up, but I imagine that your daughter will be able to help. Just search for a file or folder with "unsungcomposers" in the name (such as Marcus@unsuncomposers.com.txt" and delete it. Don't delete the Folder which stores the cookies from other sites! Then go back to the site, log in, and see if the problem is solved.

Fingers crossed.

Marcus

Thanks for trouble you have taken. I cannot say whether I accidently bumped a key - the Alt is alongside the Space key, and the LH key is just above, so anything is possible, and I will have to be more careful. The fact that no-one else is having the problem, suggests that the problem is unique to me.(or is me). Unfortunately, I do not have the touch of a concert pianist, and the keyboard hates me.
But thank you anyway.
Marcus.

Marcus

Hello Mark,
Today , (at approx. 15.40 AEST),I posted a message to "petershott - Rott string quartet", and once again the message just disappeared into the ether. I could find no record of it being sent. I re-wrote it and sent successfully.
This is my first post for a while, and I was very careful as I hit "post". (you have heard of mister plod ? )
Surely, there must be some, as yet, undetected problem with the site ? I realise that until someone else encounters the same problem, not much can be done, but it is very frustrating.
Marcus.

JimL

Maybe computer gremlins are stealing your messages.  :D

Marcus

I think you are right JimL. All I know was that I was very careful when sending. My computer is a Dell , 2- 3 years old, so it might be time to replace it ?  As for me, I am not ready to die yet ! Any other solutions ?
Marcus.

chakmailnaw

I Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions, where you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users. These boards are primarily for user-to-user interaction. If you want to contact Nokia directly, please visit the "Contact Us"-section of this website.Thanks.

Marcus

In the past six months, I have sent emails to members, and each time I have ticked the box "send a copy to my outbox", and have never received a copy of these messages. I am not greatly concerned about this, as I do not need to re-read them. But I have been wondering if there is something amiss with my computer system,
I have had one more message disappear, after posting, in the past month, but it seems that short of buying a new computer, these gremlins are in control. I desparately need the typing practice anyway!
Marcus.