Rufinatscha Piano Concerto

Started by Alan Howe, Monday 11 May 2009, 18:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

I can now confirm that Rufinatscha's Piano Concerto in G minor of 1850, until now only available in a recording of the version for two pianos, will be recorded in Stams, Austria in mid-July. The performers will be:

Michael Schöch (instrument: Hammerflügel by Conrad Graf, Vienna, ca. 1838, from the Music Collection of the Tiroler Landesmuseum, Ferdinandeum, Innsbruck)
Orchester der Akademie St. Blasius
Karlheinz Siessl (conductor)

Judging by other recordings made in July or August of previous years, this recording should be out around Christmas time. Watch this space!

Ilja

I was wondering whether anyone is planning to visit the concert in Stams this July; since I'm in the vicinity (well, sort of) I think I may.

Mark Thomas

Great news about the recording, Alan. Coincidentally, Ilja, I will be in that part of Austria this summer but not until August I'm afraid. Looks like you'll have to hold up the "Hello, Mum!" banner for all of us...

Ilja

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Tuesday 12 May 2009, 15:02
Great news about the recording, Alan. Coincidentally, Ilja, I will be in that part of Austria this summer but not until August I'm afraid. Looks like you'll have to hold up the "Hello, Mum!" banner for all of us...

And I will! (Making a mental note not to have the rattle spoil the recording)

Gareth Vaughan

Fascinating news, Alan. Do you know what other works are being performed that season?

Alan Howe

By Rufinatscha:

These are the details, Gareth:

1. Ouverture dramatique, Wien 1878
2. Konzert für Klavier und Orchester, g-Moll, Wien um 1850 (Allegro - Adagio ma non troppo - Allegro con brio)
3. Ouvertüre zu Die Braut von Messina
(Drama von Friedrich Schiller, 1803), Wien 1850

Schumann's PC is also on the programme...

Gareth Vaughan

Thanks very much, Alan. I suppose they'll record the overtures with the PC. There wouldn't be much advantage (at least, not to us) in yet another recording of the Schumann.

Mark Thomas

The Rufinatscha pieces are a mouth-watering prospect,  Alan. I do hope that you'll give us report on them, Ilja.

Alan Howe

Peter1953

Today the post coach from Innsbruck arrived, bringing my Rufinatscha disc. As expected, even in the version for two pianos this is music full of delightful tunes.

Alan's news that the PC will be recorded as a Concerto for Piano and Orchestra is very exciting. I think Santa Claus knows exactly what all Raffians wish for a Christmas present..!  ;D

Peter1953

Today I've listened again to the version for two pianos. What a thrilling listening experience the original concerto for piano and orchestra shall be. Especially the first movement has an utterly romantic grandeur.

Written in 1850, I wonder if Rufinatscha's masterpiece is perhaps the most delightful piano concerto composed between those of Schumann (1845) and Brahms's 1st (1858). (I know, I know, it's a matter of personal taste).
If so, does Rufinatscha have competitors? Most certainly. Not from Henselt, because his magnum opus was written in 1844, but how about Kullak (1850) and Rubinstein's nos. 1 (1850), 2 (1851) or 3 (1854)? Kullak's concerto is simply fantastic, although it is more a virtuoso showpiece (especially in the first movement). But Rubinstein's 3rd...or Rufinatscha...? Which one? Let's wait for the release of the original concerto. Or does anybody already has an opinion?

JimL

Well, how far are you willing to extend the competition?  Liszt 1 (1857)?  Or anything between the Schumann and 1850 (Nothing of which comes immediately to mind)?  You know, for all we complain about the dearth of 19th Century symphonies in the repertory, the supply of period concertos has been even more threadbare for far too long. 

Peter1953

No Jim, it's not my intention to sum up – if possible – all the piano concertos written between 1845 and 1858. I'm talking about the best of the best. Sung and unsung. Not the 13 out of a dozen, so to speak. Yes, the Liszt 1 belongs definitely to the top. Brilliant piano writing, and quite progressive for 1857. But I don't like it.
For me Rufinatscha's concerto has only two serious competitors in the era between the Schumann and Brahms 1, and these are the Kullak and Rubinstein 3. But Kullak is more a showpiece, while Rufinatscha is both brilliant and profound. That leaves only one competitor as far as I'm concerned.  ;)

Ilja

In Dutch, we have this joke:
"Do you know the joke of the man who went to Rotterdam?"
"No"
"He didn't go"

The same for me and Stams, I'm afraid. I had coupled a visit with my trip to Munich on the 11th, but due to a train outage near the German-Austrian border I never made it past lake Constance. So, regrettably, no report from me on the Rufinatscha concerto.

Anyone else who DID make it?

Ilja

Quote from: JimL on Saturday 18 July 2009, 21:34You know, for all we complain about the dearth of 19th Century symphonies in the repertory, the supply of period concertos has been even more threadbare for far too long.

If you're talking about the concert hall, yes. But with Vox, Danacord, Naxos and particularly Hyperion recording their share of unsung piano concertos, I don't think we may complain too much. There's still enough valuable material left to be recorded, of course, since it sometimes seems everyone even vaguely interested in music wrote one between 1820 and 1900.