22nd February: Another Eggert birthday

Started by Hofrat, Monday 22 February 2010, 19:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Hofrat

22nd February:  Another birthday for Joachim Eggert (1779-1813) passes.  Sorry I can not provide an up-date wih repect of the recordings at Naxos or performances since his last birthday.

eschiss1

Quote from: Hofrat on Monday 22 February 2010, 19:37
22nd February:  Another birthday for Joachim Eggert (1779-1813) passes.  Sorry I can not provide an up-date wih repect of the recordings at Naxos or performances since his last birthday.

Ohhh- I think it was on the 22nd that Swedish Radio P2 broadcast the Discofil recording of Eggert's 3rd? (E-flat) symphony - yep.
(See http://www.sr.se/sida/sandningsarkiv.aspx?programid=2480&date=2010-02-22 . Bottom of page.)
Still audible by Realplayer or WMP until March 22, by the way.  I listened and was impressed. Looking forward to those new releases.
Eric

Alan Howe

The April edition of Gramophone magazine tells us that the symphonies in C and E flat were recorded for Naxos last November by the Gävle Symphony Orchestra under Gérard Korsten.

Hofrat

It is a nice that Swedish Radio remembered Eggert on his birthday and played that old Discofil LP of his E-flat symphony.  It is not a great recording but it was the only Eggert symphony recorded at that time (1980).  The Gavle Symphony has recently recorded it for Naxos, to be released in 2011.     

Syrelius

Quote from: eschiss1 on Monday 08 March 2010, 13:49
Quote from: Hofrat on Monday 22 February 2010, 19:37

Ohhh- I think it was on the 22nd that Swedish Radio P2 broadcast the Discofil recording of Eggert's 3rd? (E-flat) symphony - yep.
(See http://www.sr.se/sida/sandningsarkiv.aspx?programid=2480&date=2010-02-22 . Bottom of page.)
Still audible by Realplayer or WMP until March 22, by the way.  I listened and was impressed. Looking forward to those new releases.
Eric

The Stockholm Philharmonic played this symphony at a concert about 2 ½ years ago. Andrew Manze conducted. I wish they had recorded that concert - Manze's interpretation was really good. (I just love that 1st movement!) Still, it's great that Naxos will release all four complete symphonies on CD! :)

Hofrat, is there any hope for shorter works to fill the discs? (The symphonies are not that long and I guess there might be an overture or two in Eggerts works for the stage such as The Moors in Spain?)

Hofrat

Yes, Syrelious, the Eggert E-flat symphony was performed in n
November 2007 by the Stockholm Philharmonic under the baton of Andrew Manze.  As one of the editors of the score and parts, I was invited to attend the concert but a freak accident at my home prevented me from going.  Manze did a fantastic job. 

I have edited the overture to "The Moors in Spain."  It is very very short (about 3 minutes), so it would not really fill out the CD.  I am afraid that there is not much short stuff amongst Eggert's orchestral works.

Now, Eggert left us lots of chamber works.  Two publishing houses have produced scores and parts of an Eggert sextet.  I have edited most of Eggert's string quartets as well as other chamber works by him.  There is a commercial recording of a string quartet, too.