Felix Woyrsch(1860-1944): a Catalogue

Started by Dundonnell, Saturday 11 August 2012, 03:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

FELIX WOYRSCH: A CATALOGUE OF THE ORCHESTRAL & CHORAL MUSIC

1884:       Study Symphony in B minor
               "Wollt er nur fragen" for soprano and small orchestra, op.9
1888:      "Die Geburt Jesu" for soloists, chotus, strings and organ, op.18: 27 minutes
1891:      "Deutscher Heerbann" for soloists, male chorus and orchestra, op.32
                "Der Vandalen Auszug" for male chorus and orchestra, op.39
                 Symphonic Prologue to Dante's "Divine Comedy" for orchestra, op.40      +  (MDG cd)
1895c:     Oratorio "The Passion" for soloists, chorus, organ and orchestra, op.45
1901:      "Sapphische Ode an Aphrodite" for soprano, female chorus and orchestra, op.49
                Violin Concerto "Skaldic Rhapsody" in D minor, op.50
1905:      Oratorio "Totentanz" for soloists, chorus, orchestra and organ, op.51
1908:      Symphony No.1 in C minor, op.52    +  (MDG cd)
1910:      Three Fantasies after Bocklin for orchestra, op.53
               "Da lachte Schon-Sigrid" for chorus and orchestra, op.54
               Overture "Hamlet", op.56     +   (cpo cd)
               "Ode an den Tod" for male chorus and orchestra, op.57: 8 minutes
1914:      Symphony No.2 in C major, op.60: 48 minutes     +  (cpo cd)
1916:      "Da Jesus auf Erden ging" for soloists, chorus, orchestra and organ, op.61
1921:      Symphony No.3 in E flat minor, op. 70: 38 minutes
                Symphony No.4 in F major, op.71
                "Das deutsche Sanktus" for chorus and orchestra, op.73
1927:      Symphony No.5 in D major, op.75
               Theme and Variations  for orchestra, op.76
1933c:   Symphony No.6 in C major "Sinfonia Sacra", op.77
             "Zum neuen Jahr" for chorus and orchestra, op.79

and

"Altona Hymn" for chorus and orchestra

Dundonnell

This is strictly a one-off addition to my Catalogues list.

It is being posted for the single and exclusive reason that cpo has just released the Woyrsch Symphony No.2 (presumably as the start of a series) and I thought that others might like to see some of the rest of the Woyrsch catalogue I had compiled.

eschiss1

Alan Howe

Grove online also has the following:

Stage: Der Pfarrer von Meudon, op.20 (komische Oper, Woyrsch), 1886; Der Weiberkrieg, op.27 (komische Oper, Woyrsch), 1896; Wikingerfahrt (op), 1896; Faust, unpubd
Str qts: a, op.55, 1909; c, op.63, 1916; E, op.64, 1918; B, op.74, 1926; c, op.78, c1938–40
Other chbr: Str Sextet, B, op.72, 1926; Pf Qnt, c, op.66, 1927; Pf Trio, e, op.65, 1924
Songs, motets, pieces for pf, org

So, there is a goodly amount of chamber music as well as opera to explore too. I would hope that any future catalogues, whoever posts them, would include such categories in order to make them useful to all members of the forum.

kyjo

Alan, I don't think we should put an extra load on Colin's shoulders. After all, orchestral music is his speciality. I'm sure some other members would be willing to catalogue other areas in the composer's output. But I do agree with you, Alan, that not just orchestral music should be catalogued. I'm just saying that we shouldn't burden Colin with cataloguing compositional categories (nice alliteration, eh ;)) that he isn't as interested in, or else cataloguing (which he obviously enjoys ;D) might turn into "work" for him.

Alan Howe

The issue, kyjo, is the usefulness of partial catalogues as works of reference. The matter was thoroughly aired before you joined UC and we do not intend to do so again here. Anyway, watch this space...

kyjo

I'm sorry, Alan. I didn't mean to start a conversation that was apparently already a big debate here! And this has nothing to do with Woyrsch at all ;D!

Alan Howe

That's fine. As I said, watch this space...

eschiss1

Erm- I'd add also one other string quartet preceding the string quartet in A minor, at least according to one source, but I'm not positive of that information.
Is it fair to say that the string sextet is (probably) in B-flat and the 1926 Op.74 quartet probably likewise, and that Grove Online is probably copying verbatim from a German source? Their use of lowercase letters for minor keys suggests as much...

Alan Howe

Most likely, Eric, It was the existence of a substantial body of non-orchestral/choral music that I was trying to point out rather than its precise details. Sincere thanks nevertheless, Eric, for your characteristic thoroughness.

FBerwald

This is a late quire... but the wiki page mentions "seven symphonies, ..." Is this counting the Study Symphony or is there a missing No. 7?

eschiss1

BTW there is a worklist here that may be better than that one.

(Hrm, that's a combined site for Ferdinand Pfohl and Felix Woyrsch. ...) Yes, the only 7th symphony that seems to be listed there is 1884/89 (99, you're right), manuscript.

I said in a thread that nos.4 and 5 were unpublished; that was on reading an archived page of another version of this same Pfohl-Woyrsch site (which I though had been taken down and was only available in that Internet-Archive form). But they've updated it to read "B[er]l(i)n: Boosey & Hawkes" for both 4 & 5...

Alan Howe

Eric's link has this list:

Nr. 1 c-Moll op. 52, Lpz. : Kahnt.
Nr. 2 C-Dur op. 60, Lpz.: Simrock.
Nr. 3 es-Moll op. 70, Lpz. : Simrock.
Nr. 4 F-Dur op. 71, Bln.: Boosey & Hawkes.
Nr. 5 D-Dur op. 75, Bln.: Boosey & Hawkes.
Nr. 6 C-Dur op. 77 "Sinfonia sacra", Ms.
B-Dur (1884/1899), Ms.

Delicious Manager

Alan Howe

Thanks: one correction needed - the early, unnumbered symphony is in "B-Dur", which is B flat major.