News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Albert Becker

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 31 August 2012, 16:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Albert Becker (1834-1899), on the evidence of the little I've heard of his music, was a very fine composer. Two pieces that really are most attractive are his 10-minute long Concertstück, Op.66 (1893) for violin and orchestra (featuring some heart-stoppingly romantic writing - a bit like Bruch on steroids) and his shorter Scherzo, Op.47 for the same forces. Both are recorded on this CD:
http://www.amazon.de/Violinkonzerte-Christine-Raphael/dp/B000027A2U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346424552&sr=8-1
Incidentally, Becker was the grandfather of composer Günter Raphael - which probably explains why the latter's daughter is the soloist in the abovementioned CD (although it also contains a Sinfonische Fantasie by her father).

JimL

Doesn't he have a couple of full-scale violin concertos in his oeuvre as well?

Alan Howe

That's Reinhold Becker (1842-1924).

JimL

Alan Howe

Nope. It's a really common surname. It means 'Baker', of course.

eschiss1

Indeed- at least three string-playing (I think) Becker composers in the Romantic era, and an American composer (somewhat Hindemithian in general approach?) in the 20th century too, if memory serves, so at -least- 4 semi-noteworthy Beckers - Hofmeister 1829-1900 lists more composing Beckern? still... ;)

Albert Becker also wrote some chamber music (a piano quartet and quintet, both earlier (1880s - it seems that Becker, though his published works begin in the 1860s or so, may have only started using opus numbers in the late 1870s or early 1880s?)..., are at IMSLP, as is what seems to be the 7th in a series of "Adagios Religioso", this one for violin, cello and organ (or piano), published 1898 - looks nice, I think...)

(Yes, Reinhold Becker's A minor violin concerto was published in 1876. Early work.)

Alan Howe

Has anyone viewed the Piano Quartet or Piano Quintet at IMSLP?

Lionel Harrsion

Quote from: Alan Howe on Friday 31 August 2012, 22:30
Has anyone viewed the Piano Quartet or Piano Quintet at IMSLP?
I hadn't until you threw down the gauntlet, Alan.  I looked through the Piano Quintet because it's the later piece (1887) and I must say that I was impressed.  He obviously knew how to write effectively for that combination of instruments, keeping the textures clear, open and well-balanced. The opening movement, in compound time, has a persistent dotted motif which is rather Schumannesque; the modulations of the development section are well-judged, carefully placed, and sometimes take one in unexpected directions which helps to construct an interesting architecture.  The finale starts out in rumbustious mood but it's not all sound and fury and has well-contrasted episodes.

However, to me the real gem is the long-breathed central Adagio which has an absolutely glorious melody with a hint of Dvořák about it although its development reminded me somewhat more of Hermann Goetz and the decoration foreshadows  Richard Strauss' Violin Sonata (which was written the following year).  It's a piece that's very well worth reviving, I'd say.  I'll try to find time to look at the Piano Quartet tomorrow.

Leea25

Sometimes the discussions one here inspire me to go and just buy stuff, which is what I have just done with the Becker CD.  :) It is, incidentally, slightly cheaper on Amazon UK than on DE.

Mark Thomas

I do agree with Alan's assessment of the two short works for violin and orchestra with which Alan began this thread. Fine works which whet the appetite for more. I'm not sure how much more there is, though. Although it was a symphony by Becker's (he wrote three IIRC) which lost out to Raff's An das Vaterland in the Vienna competition of 1863, wasn't he primarily a choral composer for most of his career?

Alan Howe

Thanks, Lionel, for your valuable insights. I greatly look forward to your assessment of the Piano Quartet...

eschiss1

Near as I can tell from HMB, it seems most of Albert Becker's published works are vocal (including choral, yes).

Balapoel

Quote from: eschiss1 on Saturday 01 September 2012, 13:46
Near as I can tell from HMB, it seems most of Albert Becker's published works are vocal (including choral, yes).

Yes, I have Becker's (nearly) complete catalog (opp.1-96, except Opp. 2, 3 and 87), which includes 86 choral works and 63 or so songs, and 16 pieces for voices and orchestra; but I hesitate, since it appears all of the composer references have disappeared. Odd, since there were numerous romantic composers that I contributed to...

Also, curious that Alwyn is off-limits, since I see (hear) many similarities with Elgar, Bax, etc...

Alan Howe

Alwyn's not a romantic composer, at least not in his serious music. Accessible, tonal, yes. But that's not sufficient any more. Please see our revised remit here: http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/topic,3681.0.html
Also please note: the composer reference section (relating to more modern composers) is now located in our Archive here:
http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/board,11.0.html
Otherwise, the catalogues relating to composers of the romantic era have been re-located to this, the Composers and Music section.
Regarding the uploading of new catalogues, we would like to stress that only complete (or near-complete) works lists are of interest to us now (not partial ones concentrating on particular aspects of a composer's output) and that some form of supporting biographical introduction would be welcome too.
Having said which, do upload what you have of Becker's catalogue. Could prove very interesting!