News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Virus Alert

Started by jerfilm, Saturday 08 September 2012, 04:47

Previous topic - Next topic

jerfilm

A couple of hours ago I went to a website that was suggested for a download under the topic Joseph Marx Nature Trilogy, a topic that I started a couple of days ago.  The site is HDTRACKS.   After listening to a sample, I tried to join and was immediately greeted with the FBI trojan.  This gem locks up your computer tighter than a drum, sez you have violated copyright law and are being fined $200 which you can apparently pay by clicking on a button.  Knowing that this is nonsense I didn't bite.   However, you can't get into your computer and rebooting simply brings this nasty back up.

It took a couple of hours to figure out how to get rid of it and if I hadn't had a good anti malware program installed, I might not be writing this.

So just beware, that site may be lethal.

Jerry

Alan Howe

It's very good of you to report this problem: I will delete the offending link forthwith and post the appropriate warning there. Please also accept our apologies for what happened.

TerraEpon

How bizzare -- HDTracks is hardly a flybynight site.

Mark Thomas

No it isn't but it has probably been hacked and they wont be aware of it until someone tells them that they've got a problem. It can happen to anybody.

jerfilm

No need to apologize, Alan.  And no blame to the poster, either.  And Mark is absolutely correct, their site was almost certainly hacked - and a music download site would be perfect for an "FBI Notice" that you have violated copyright law. ...... Sad cuz now I don't have the Marx download that was there......

I'd go in and warn them about this but frankly I don't want to chance getting the virus back......

Jerry