Off-topic folder

Started by ewk, Saturday 08 September 2012, 20:07

Previous topic - Next topic

ewk

Hi all,

first of all, I have never experienced such a broad knowledge about unsung composers as here on this board. The first night I discovered the board was quite a long one :D

I started a thread about jazzy concertos/symphonies and it wasn't permitted, the reason is obvious: it's too far away from the board's definition of romantic music.
I can absolutely understand this as it is obviously a board for romantic unsung music and not for example for the music of, let's say Shostakovich.

I just wondered if maybe a special folder for threads like these could be created? Somethink like an "off-topic"-folder? I think most of the useres of this board have a huge knowledge wchich doesnŦt stop 1918. So I think it would be fantastic to share this knowledge as well, what do you think?

In the "suggestions and problems" folder, there was no such suggestion, but I nearly can't imagine that this topic has never been discussed?

And again, the knowledge concentrated on this board is extremely fantastic!
ewk

Alan Howe

The end-date of 1918 is just a guideline, really. It's the style of music which we're most concerned about here - thus, for example, we would have no problems discussing Korngold's music from the 1950s. However, Jazz-influenced compositions, as you say, aren't really a fit for Unsung Composers.
As for creating an 'off-topic board', I'm afraid that going in that direction in the past caused us an awful lot of problems, with the result that we felt we had to return the website to its origins in romantic music. Of course, given that you have only just joined us, you will not know our history. Suffice it to say that we have been down that particular road (see our Archive section), and it made the site both unmanageable and, for us who administer it, unenjoyable too.

britishcomposer

ewk, there is another site which may cover your interests better:
http://artmusic.smfforfree.com/index.php

Alan Howe

There's no point in going over old ground again, so I've locked this topic.