Haydn Wood Violin Concerto

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 05 March 2010, 17:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

The Violin Concerto in A minor by Haydn Wood (plus the Adagio from another VC of his), coupled with that by the contemporary British composer Lionel Sainsbury, is shortly to be released on Dutton...

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/futurereleases.php?composer=wood&work=&performer=&medium=all&label=&cat=

Gareth Vaughan

What marvellous news! The Haydn Wood concerto is a very important work, beautifully written and scored - as was everything Wood composed. I had hoped that Tasmin Little would record it, after she gave a splendid performance last year, but now it has been taken up by another violinist and, at last, committed to disk. The adagio from the other VC (I imagine the rest of it is lost) will be most interesting to hear.

Marcus

Hello Alan,
Glad to hear about the Haydn Wood Violin Concerto. If it is as good as the Piano concerto, I'll be satisfied.
But Lionel Sainsbury's Violin Concerto - who ? I obviously live too far from England.
Dutton is another of those small innovative labels worth its weight in gold for unearthing unsungs.
Marcus.

violinconcerto

I see you all are happy about the upcoming Haydn Wood VC, but to throw in my humble opinion I must point your attention to the Sainsbury violin concerto, because it is the better choice on the CD! A beautiful, melancholic, melodious work - THAT is the real find I assume.

Best,
Tobias

wunderkind

Quote from: Marcus on Saturday 06 March 2010, 11:11

But Lionel Sainsbury's Violin Concerto - who ? I obviously live too far from England.

Marcus.

The Sainsbury Concerto is one of the most exquisite I've heard - perhaps at the top of the list of those written by contemporary composers.  Give it a listen and you'll no longer ask, "who?"    ;)

Gareth Vaughan

I too am greatly looking forward to hearing Lionel Sainsbury's VC. I know it only by reputation, but those lucky enough to have heard it agree that it is a most beautiful work.

I wish someone would record the PC by Leslie Bridgewater.

Mark Thomas

I'm just happy to have the Haydn Wood, and if the Sainsbury turns out to be as good as you say, then it'll be a bonus.

eschiss1

The Sainsbury is being broadcast on Tuesday on BBC Radio 3 - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00rd7yt .

Alan Howe

Just listening at the moment to the Haydn Wood VC - absolutely gorgeous, as one might expect. The idiom? Well, if you can imagine a halfway-house somewhere between Elgar and Korngold, you won't be far off. But, as I say, absolutely GORGEOUS! A must-buy!

Mark Thomas

Thanks for the mini-review, Alan. Looks like I need to point my browser to Dutton Vocalion. Any opinion on the Sainsbury?

Alan Howe

A brief sampling suggests updated Walton for the Sainsbury, but I'll post again sometime...

Alan Howe

The Sainsbury VC of 1989 is indeed a major find and a worthy companion to the Haydn Wood VC. Its idiom is very much in line of descent from the warmth and lyricism of Walton's VC, although without the stunning memorability of the last-named work. Nevertheless, this is a modern-day VC to which all members of this forum would, I am sure, give a hearty welcome. It is an ambitious work too, taking nearly 40 minutes in performance - which, by the way, is utterly superb. Lorraine McAslan may not be a household name in the same way as Hilary Hahn, Janine Jansen, Rachel Barton-Pine, et al, but her playing here is committed, beautifully differentiated and sweet-toned throughout.

This is a must-buy CD. One of Dutton's absolute best! 

wunderkind

Quote from: wunderkind on Saturday 06 March 2010, 23:39
Quote from: Marcus on Saturday 06 March 2010, 11:11

Marcus.

The Sainsbury Concerto is one of the most exquisite I've heard - perhaps at the top of the list of those written by contemporary composers.  Give it a listen and you'll no longer ask, "who?"    ;)

To Alan Howe:  Told 'ya!    :P

Seriously, happy to hear from another admirer of this beautiful work.

wunderkind

Finally got around to opening and listening to this marvelous Dutton CD.

The Sainsbury, as I had recalled, is the genuine article.  The opening bars introduce a contemporary atmosphere - and as the movement proceeds one gets the feeling that, in a mild sort of way, this is what a violin concerto by Gershwin might have sounded like.  The gorgeous slow movement is, in my opinion, unequalled (except maybe by its discmate!) for lyricism and romance among concerto works written in the last decades.  The finale, a big movement (almost as long as the first two combined, a la Elgar), is mighty, deep, and maintains its attraction to the end.

Wood's work is also a gem - beginning in a Korngoldian mode (already mentioned on here) with a theme that could be right from a Hollywood screen score.  With heart-on-the-sleeve beauty all the way through - I was astonished by the impact this concerto had on me.

I think this is one of Dutton's finest releases.  Not to be missed, not by anyone who can be seduced by the power of music.

Hovite

Quote from: wunderkind on Tuesday 20 April 2010, 23:46
Finally got around to opening and listening to this marvelous Dutton CD.

I have had this sitting unopened on a shelf for two years, and I regret not having played it sooner. The Sainsbury concerto is a delight, and I notice that the same composer's cello concerto is now available. The Wood concerto and fragment were better than I had expected (as I did not find his previously recorded piano concerto particularly memorable) and it is a shame that the other movements of the earlier concerto are missing.