Rufinatscha's Symphonies: important update

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 27 September 2012, 19:15

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

It could explain why Dahlhaus created the idea of a "gap", however.  Who sought to bring any sort of re-conceptualization to the symphony between 1852 and 1876?  There was either a conservative approach (e.g. Dietrich, or perhaps Goetz and Grimm) or an extension of the Berlioz "programmatic" approach (e.g. Raff).

And yes...Dr. Gratl, I presume?  Lengthy is indeed a valid English word.  And I definitely noticed the parallels between the Rufinatscha 5th and the Schubert 9th.  Did you notice that the "motto" running throughout the Rufinatscha 5th is Mozart's "Jupiter" motive that begins the finale of that work, transposed to D?

eschiss1

*feels a random need to point out that "Mozart's Jupiter motive" predates Mozart by centuries - it's a Gregorian themelet, and used by others in Mozart's time and before and after. (As noted when for instance such a confirmed anti-Mozartean as d'Indy ended up basing one of his string quartets on the same intervals.) Anyway, sorry- back to the ranch...*

MusFerd

Grateful thanks for all these valuable comments! I would like to refer to the thematic allusion to the "Jupiter" symphony. The c minor Symphony - no. 3, which will be performed in autumn - starts with a theme which is almost a citation of the opening of Mozart's c minor piano sonata KV 457. And there is a recurring second theme which seems to be directly taken from Beethoven's Coriolan overture.
And a short reply to Alan Howe's statement: I agree, abolutely. The b minor Symphony is really highly original, especially if you keep in mind that it was composed in 1846. It would be interesting to compare all the compositions on a symphonic scale dating from about the same times - and you surely know more of those "Unsungs" than I.
There is a last observation from my side: I have an overview of all extant compositions of Rufinatscha. He had absolutely no talent for "small" and "happy" stuff. Everything is broad, solemn, tragic. That's what he also brings to the symphonic genre. He does not laugh in his music - not even in the Lieder or his piano music.           

Mark Thomas

QuoteHe had absolutely no talent for "small" and "happy" stuff
That's immediately apparent from the 3 CD set of his piano music. To my ears, the smaller pieces are all quite derivative of contemporary models. The Piano Sonatas show more of his individuality and it's the final one, the ruminative and sometimes quite dark op.18 in D minor, which is the most successful.

Peter1953

Quote from: MusFerd on Wednesday 03 October 2012, 07:25
There is a last observation from my side: I have an overview of all extant compositions of Rufinatscha. He had absolutely no talent for "small" and "happy" stuff. Everything is broad, solemn, tragic. That's what he also brings to the symphonic genre. He does not laugh in his music - not even in the Lieder or his piano music.         

Is that so? I think Rufinatscha shows not only in his orchestral works a great amount of compositorial skills of a high level, but also in his chamber music. An example. Personally I rank his Piano Quartet in C minor (1836) to the best in its genre. To my ears the first movement smiles. Rufinatscha wasn't that much of a sombre character or am I mistaken?
I am a bit disappointed by his great piano works, e.g. the sonatas. Absolutely pleasant to listen to, no question about that, however IMHO not showing very much individuality. Schubert is not far away.

MusFerd

Well, Peter1953, I agree that Rufinatscha's chamber music often shows originality and highest quality. And of course, not all his works are sombre. But I still believe that the composer had a strong inclination to tragedy, drama and dark colours. If you take his piano works and Lieder, for example, he was very fond of the deepest possible register of the piano.

Lucanuscervus

Finally, I heard the "New 3rd Symphony" is finished now by Composer Michael F.P.Huber !  :)

Alan Howe

Wonderful - and congratulations on the completion.
Any opinion of the completed work would be very gratefully received here in advance of the premiere next month...

MusFerd

Some news for the Rufinatscha fan club:
This saturday the school of music in Mals, Rufinatscha's birthplace, will be renamed as "Johann Rufinatscha-Musikschule". On this occasion a festschrift will be presented. It will contain a short biography, an updated and complete catalogue of his works and a discography.
On Saturday evening Marlies Nussbaumer will play some of his compositions for solo piano in Mals - and the same in Innsbruck on Sunday.
And finally: The documentary film on Johann Rufinatscha is finished, it will be shown as a prologue to the concert in Mals on Saturday rvening and also in the orchestral concert with the c minor symphony completed by Michael F. P. Huber and the concert arias in Innsbruck, 25 Nov.

Alan Howe

Wonderful news, MusFerd!
One question, if I may: will the catalogue of Rufinatscha's works be made more widely available?

MusFerd

Well, I think an online publication of the catalogue would be the best way to guarantee spreading... articles of scientific value, a new task for the Unsung Composers Forum ;)...   

Alan Howe

An interesting thought, MusFerd. We'll give it some thought...

John H White

Is there a chance of the documentary on Rufinatscha's live going on sale as a DVD, preferably with English commentary or sub titles?

Alan Howe

I'll try to find out, John. May take a while, though.

MusFerd

A DVD has been released and will be available soon. But I am quite sure that it neither contains an English summary nor English subtitles. But I haven't seen the DVD yet, only the film (German version).