Raff Piano Works Vol 3

Started by petershott@btinternet.com, Friday 28 September 2012, 10:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

petershott@btinternet.com

HMV posted my copy two days ago. I'll be awaiting the arrival of Royal Mail's little red van in the morning. The Raff CD should be in the company of 12 others in the same order, and since HMV have the crazy practice of sending each CD in its own individual stout cardboard box it is going to be quite a challenge getting them from front door to music room unobserved. Doubtless I shall be in the doghouse once more!

Mark Thomas

Move the music room to the doghouse perhaps?

Mark Thomas

Tra Nguyen is giving a recital in the Wigmore Hall, London on Sunday evening 16 December. Unusually for her these days there is no Raff on the programme but apparently International Piano Magazine are running a promotion: if you email competitions@rhinegold.co.uk with Tra Nguyen giveaway in the subject line then you are entered into a prize draw to win this latest Raff CD plus a ticket to the recital.

obermann

Quote from: petershott@btinternet.com on Thursday 01 November 2012, 23:45

Doubtless I shall be in the doghouse once more!

Peter, I am very lucky in that my wife never questions the boxes that arrive weekly at our door, but I have already determined that when we build our final home I shall have a doghouse just for me. I was going to call it the 'shed' but I think you have just given a me a new nickname to try!

eschiss1

well, make sure the speakers have large woofers.

JimL

And install a birdcage for the tweeters!

Peter1953

I like to add a few words to what already has been said. In fact, I second all the positive comments. What another wonderful disc this Vol. 3 is. All short pieces are delightful character pieces with a great variety and individual depth. And believe me, I like Raff's piano music more than Liszt. Much more.
It's amazing how Tra Nguyen really gets under the skin of Raff, as if Raff plays the piano through Tra's fingers. Maybe this is my bad English, but I mean it as a great compliment. She has a perfect toucher.

Totally agree with you, Peter. These three volumes have constituted a wonderful voyage of discovery of what, for me, was hitherto quite unknown music. As you say, Tra Nguyen really seems to get right under the skin of Raff: there's something that seems just absolutely right about her performances (though I suppose, strictly, that is a silly remark since I haven't heard any other pianist tackling Raff).

In addition the recordings are superb in quality, and actually the detailed and enlightening notes in the booklets accompanying all three CDs are also pretty good!

Ah, if only Tra Nguyen, Grand Piano (and the writer of the notes!) could be persuaded to give us further volumes. What a treat that would be!

One footnote: celebrating this disc of Raff, young Peter, doesn't provide you with any excuse for adverse comments on Liszt!

TerraEpon

Apparently the US release date of this is today....and I just happened to make an order of it (ImportCDs.com's already pretty low price on top of a 10% discount, ordered 9 discs total actually...)

DennisS

I have been listening to volume 3 now for the past week or so and I too must say that this latest issue in the Grand Piano series of Raff piano works is truly superb and every bit as great as the two previous volumes. Tra Nguyen really does understand what Raff is trying to convey to the listener and every piece on the latest CD is wonderfully played. There is a depth of feeling, combined with great delicacy or, as required, more forceful playing, which is simply beautiful. My favourite piece is Cing Eglogues (but the Album Lyrique is a very close second!). The sheer beauty of this work has me rapt in attention as I listen to it and its 18:24 minutes pass by all too quickly! Indeed the whole album lasting some 76:33 likewise passes by all too quickly. As has already be stated, the liner notes, excellently written by Mark are highly informative. The only downside that I can think of is that this CD is the last in the series. I live however in the hope that maybe there might one day be a fourth, even though this is unlikely.

In my opinion this is a must-buy and not just for Raff lovers but for all lovers of wonderful piano writing, superbly interpreted by a world class pianist!

I have not the authority to do so, but quite independently of that, have no hesitation in awarding a honorary prize to one Byzantion for his review of Volume 3 of the Grand Piano series of Tra Nguyen recordings of Raff on Music Web tonight. A spot on right review of the latest (and I very much hope not the last) volume in this utterly splendid series. (Not quite sure, though, who this Thomas fellow might be who is mentioned in the review!)

Mark Thomas

Yes, I'm reduced to just "Thomas" now. Clearly my 15 minutes of fame is exhausted! Actually, Byzantion's reviews on MusicWeb International of all three CDs in the series have been uniformly positive and that's hugely encouraging.

You may like to know that Tra gave her first Wigmore Hall recital last Sunday -  something of a milestone for any pianist. It went wonderfully well and I've never heard her play better. Here's a review from The Independent. She was also interviewed and played Clementi and Raff on BBC Radio3's In Tune earlier in the week.