News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

The Sirens

Started by sdtom, Thursday 14 May 2009, 17:25

Previous topic - Next topic

sdtom

Does anyone have any experience with a recording of this Gliere piece other than the Naxos 8.550898.  I can't find anything but I've read that there are.
Thomas :)

TerraEpon

Oddly enough I just listened to this last night.

It's the only recording I know of.

sdtom

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2000/nov00/gliere.htm

Hmm?  I wonder where this David Wright heard them.  Perhaps it was live.

Gareth Vaughan

David Wright is a distinguished, if somewhat eccentric, British musicologist (a great champion of the music of Ruth Gipps and William Wordsworth). I do not believe "The Sirens" has been recorded before and I'm sure David must be referring to a live performance he has heard somewhere. There may, however, have been a Soviet recording which never found its way to the West - that would not surprise me.

sdtom

I'm going to assume that this is the only available recording and complete my review of it.  I enjoyed it immensely.
Thomas :)

Amphissa

This was recorded by Gauk with the National Symphony Orchestra on the Melodiya label. It was released on LP a couple of times, paired with different works. The one I'm familiar with was Melodiya M10 39547. I don't think this recording was ever released on CD, and it certainly is not in print now.

Gareth Vaughan

Thanks, Amphissa. I had a strong suspicion that a Soviet recording had existed at one time.

Jonathan

I have a recording of The Sirens - I think it was a live performance on Radio 3 probably about 20 years ago.  I taped it at the time and later transferred it to mp3 and then to my iPod.  I recorded it at the time because I wanted to see what else he had written besides the Esquisse that I was playing for my ABRSM grade 7.  It is a marvellous work but sadly i did not make a note of the orchestra or conductor or any useful information.

sdtom

As much as I enjoy wasn't overcome by the allure of the magic music!!!
Thomas

sdtom

http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2009/05/17/sirensgliere/

I do recommend to all that if you don't have this piece it is well worth getting.
Thomas