Molique Violin Concertos

Started by Mark Thomas, Wednesday 12 December 2012, 07:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

I'm afraid the horrid solo violin-playing just won't do. Good job the music's not of the front rank - it's sort of like Spohr, only with more guts...

eschiss1

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

Alan Howe wrote
Quoteit's sort of like Spohr, only with more guts...
Rat's! My copy came this morning and, as I was playing it I was thinking "beefed-up Spohr" and then I find that Alan already said it! Actually, the music itself is fine by me;  although clearly not by a major composer, it is quite robust in places. Despite the obvious debt to Spohr, my first impression is that Molique at least doesn't ape Spohr's all-pervading chromaticism, although Kai Köpp's insert notes contradict that impression. Unfortunately, though, I am totally with those who find the violin playing painful for the reasons which Alan has outlined earlier. The vibrato-free approach may be historically correct for all I know but its meanness does the music no favours at all and one is left with an impression that these are smaller works than they really are. A missed opportunity I feel. 

DennisS

I haven't as yet received my copy of the Cd but hope that I won't be too disappointed if the violin playing leaves something to be desired.

Alan Howe

Do let us know what you think, Dennis. You may react quite differently...

jonfrohnen

Such interesting concerti but the soloist...oh my, not so good at all, really detracts from the beauty of the music :-(

Alan Howe