Philippe Gaubert - orchestral works.

Started by Marcus, Sunday 14 March 2010, 12:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcus

Most of us know Philippe Gaubert (1879-1941), as the master of the flute, and nearly all of the listings in the catalogue feature flute.
So it is pleasing  at last, to have a CD devoted to some of his orchestral works:(Timpani # 1C1135)
The Symphony in F, is that of a composer confident is orchestral writing, and although written in 1935-36, it belongs to the world of Franck & Chausson, and in parts Magnard & Debussy.
It is in 4 movements : the 1st Lent,calme -Allegretto, sets the scene, and is dominated by a a beautiful main theme, and possesses a lyrical freshness with echoes of Franck & Chausson. The 2nd movement Adagio shares the orchestral colour and harmonies of Debussy, with violin solos creating a quiet introspective atmosphere. The 3rd movement, Scherzo, is a lively jaunty piece with interaction between woodwinds adding to the carnival atmosphere.The Finale begins in F minor & gradually transforms to F major,  is reminiscent in parts of Magnard. The symphony works up to  a powerful conclusion, and considering that Gaubert wrote few orchestral works, is testimony to his rarely tapped skill. Gaubert did not break any new ground, with his style remaining little changed throughout his life, but these works are proof of a master composer, at least the equal of Chausson,Ropartz, Lazzari & Ladmirault.
Also on the disc, is Les Chants de la Mer, a superb work in 3 movements. It will always be compared to Debussy's la Mer, and although not quite in that class, it is, nevertheless, an atmospheric piece, and Gaubert manages to depict the sea in all its moods.It is in 3 movements: Chants et parfums,mer coloree, 8'10",La ronde sur la falaise -scherzo 4'06", La-bas, tres loin, sur la mer 5'03".
The final work on the disc is the Concert in F, in 3 movements. Another fine orchestral work from Gaubert, in 3 movements, Lent majesteux,(7'18"),Lent doucement expressif,(6'33"), Vif et leger (3'29") There are flashes of Faure, and even Honegger.
Marcus.

petershott@btinternet.com

I fully endorse the words of Marcus (who provides a succinct but illuminating description of this music). I hadn't listened to any Gaubert before - and quite wrongly expected something a little dense, languid and maybe turgid. I always, so to speak, want to open the windows wide when listening to some of the excesses of late French romanticism and let in some fresh air.

But I was quite wrong. The Symphony in particular is finely constructed and has some beautiful moments. Gaubert is right on top of his materials. Recommended to all!

Peter

Mark Thomas

QuoteI always, so to speak, want to open the windows wide when listening to some of the excesses of late French romanticism and let in some fresh air.

:) Exactly! Nonetheless, thanks, Marcus & Peter. I've just listened to extracts at classicsonline.com and the CD sounds terrific, so I'm investing!

DennisS

Having read the comments on the forum and listened a number of times to sound bites on the internet, I too am very taken with Gaubert's music and I have consequently ordered the cd as well.

DennisS

Spent yesterday morning listening to the new Gaubert cd and also D'Indy symphonies 1 + 2 - a most enjoyable way to spend a Sunday morning! I would like to re-endorse other members view of the new cd. The music is sumptuous, very lyrical and appealing. I hadn't listened to French music in quite some time (apart from a little Franck - his Quintett) and had forgotten how cool (not cold) and elegant French music is! The symphony is lovely as indeed are all three works on the cd. I particularly like the third work on the cd, the Concert in F and especially the second movement. The melody is strangely familiar(?) and is lyrically very expressive and memorable! A great cd!
cheers
Dennis

M. Henriksen

Received another Timpani recording of Gaubert in the mail today. His two act ballet "Le Chevalier et la Damoiselle" composed in 1941 was to be his greatest success as a composer. Unfortunately Gaubert died 3 days after the works premiere. Looking forward to listen to this as soon as possible!
Any opinions on this work?

No - but please do report your reaction to the music. I noted the recent availability of this CD, and having sung praises to Gaubert on the strength of the symphony (and several chamber works), the CD is on my 'possible' list. But being a narrow-minded bigot who avoids ballet music (probably without justification considering the merits of some ballet scores), I'm exercising caution here. So I'd be especially interested in what you think. Best wishes to a sympathetic soul in the Norwegian forests!

Peter

Alan Howe

Gaubert's Symphony is a nice piece, but certainly nowhere near the class of Chausson's much more memorable and potent work. The Timpani CD is well worth investing in, though, and the Symphony will give much pleasure.

Pengelli

I feel ballet music is like a film soundtrack. You need to see the actual ballet or film,otherwise it doesn't make much sense. Of course,with the Gaubert you're not exactly going to get many opportunities.

M. Henriksen

I'm using the morning hours listening to Gauberts final ballet. I must say that I'm not too much into ballet myself, but I do have the Tchaikovsky ones at least!
Gauberts work is based on a lovely little fairytale involving a Princess transforming into a doe at night, and of course a heroic knight liberating her from the spell and then winning a Knights-tournament and the princess. What a success!
The ballet is in two acts, the first one containing the more substantial pieces. Among them a fine prelude with a strikingly second part in Renaissance mood and the Knights Dance, which is more a small romance with violin solo than a dance.
The second act containing 15 pieces of shorter duration, and there are a lot of really beautiful music here. Listen to the "Entrèe de la Damoiselle et sa suite" (track 12)! Gaubert seems to master the orchestra in a very fine way, using particularly the violin, oboe and flute (he loved the flute didn't he!) in solos. Of course the musical language is rather conservative being a work from 1941, but then who cares?
The recording is as fine as you can wish for. Timpanis recent releases have held high class, the sound is very good.
The notes by Harry Halbreich are informative enough.
So even though I also have my reservations against ballet-music this CD can easily be recommended for those who liked the same labels recording of Gauberts other orchestral works.

Morten

TerraEpon

Interestingly, Amazon sent me one of their "are you looking for x?" type emails that had the newest release in the series ("Orchestral Works 3") and the ballet. Having listened to the samples, all three discs sound great.

M. Henriksen

Being the proud owner of these discs, I have to say that the music of Gaubert has impressed me. The third volume was one of the musical highlights for me in 2011.

Morten

I agree! I became a Gaubert addict (so to speak!) after the intial disc that contained the Symphony - terrific work. I've also very enjoyed the early Les Chants de la mer. I hope Timpani are planning a fourth disc. I haven't any special pleas for what another volume might contain, for I don't know any of Gaubert's works beyond those contained in these three Timpani CDs. Any suggestions anyone?

Latvian

QuoteReceived another Timpani recording of Gaubert in the mail today. His two act ballet "Le Chevalier et la Damoiselle" composed in 1941 was to be his greatest success as a composer. Unfortunately Gaubert died 3 days after the works premiere. Looking forward to listen to this as soon as possible!
Any opinions on this work?

I got a copy of this recording a couple of months ago. Possibly my favorite acquisition of 2011 -- I've listened to it several times (which is a rare occurence amidst the flood of music here at UC)!

M. Henriksen

Quote from: petershott@btinternet.com on Wednesday 25 January 2012, 17:46
I hope Timpani are planning a fourth disc. I haven't any special pleas for what another volume might contain, for I don't know any of Gaubert's works beyond those contained in these three Timpani CDs. Any suggestions anyone?

The introduction in the booklet of volume 3 gives us some information about a couple of compositions:

" The one notable exception is the sumptuous Inscriptions pour les portes de la ville (1933-34), of which, fortunately, there exists an archive recording conducted by the composer and available in shops. Unfortunately, the score and parts are not to be found currently, and the same is the case for Serge Lifar's ballet Alexandre le Grand (1937), for which the composer had revised and doubtless expanded the score of Inscriptions."

I haven't got a complete worklist, but here are some that maybe could fill a 4th volume:

Rhapsodie sur des thèmes populaires (1909)
Madrigal (1910)
Poème pastoral (1911)
Fantaisie pour violon et orchestre (1922)
Fresques, suite symphonique (1923)
Les Chants de la Terre (1931)
Inscriptions sur les portes de la ville, 4 tableaux symphoniques (1934)
Poème des Champs et des Villages (1939)

There's also an early ballet; Philotis, danseuse de Corinthe (1914).

The question is of course if these scores exists.
I would be very happy to see more of Gaubert's works on disc.

Morten