News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Moór Suite Op.103a

Started by Alan Howe, Monday 07 January 2013, 18:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Let me express my gratitude for the upload of the super Suite for Double Quintet, op. 103a (1909) by Emanuel Moór. I was reminded somewhat of certain other post-Brahmsian composers such as Dohnányi, but this is nevertheless simply wonderful music - continually inventive, heart-warming and just plain beautifully written. Moór is certainly a composer of whom we should hear more. Thank you!

jerfilm

Boy, I'll second that, Alan.   Many thanks.  There's a lot of Moor music to be discovered.  I hope we do......

Jerry

Gareth Vaughan

Moor's music is delightful - full of warm melodic invention and pleasing harmonies. There is a substantial archive (uncatalogued, alas!) in the basement of the Victoria Music Library, and another in Germany. It is quite shameful how neglected his music is. Fleisher has a number of scores and parts, including that of the delicious double quintet recently uploaded. Most of his published music can be found in various copyright and academic libraries, but a lot remained in MS, and although there is a good deal in the two archives some important orchestral pieces seem to have disappeared (or exist only in 2-piano scores).

Gareth Vaughan

Perhaps some folks could write to Mike Spring at Hyperion and suggest he include the extant PCs in the RPC series, the VCs in the RVC series and the Cello concertos in the RCC series. The more people who do this the better - otherwise I am a lone voice. I will also write to CPO - if others will do the same.

Alan Howe

OK, you're on! But give me a week or so...

Gareth Vaughan

I knew I could rely on you, Alan.

eschiss1

I believe by the way that a broadcast tape of (one of?) his two-cello concertos is in the Indiana University Library and perhaps circulates also (Op.69, 1908; from the Gordon Wright-conducted Forgotten Romantics concerts from 1990, see OCLC. Some good stuff there generally that wasn't available commercially at the time I believe (e.g. the Reznicek symphonies 1-3) and has only become so fairly recently, by the way, with the Koch and cpo recordings.)