Gernsheim: Divertimento for flute and strings in E major op. 53 (pub. 1888)

Started by Mark Thomas, Friday 22 February 2013, 21:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

DennisS

I also thank you Mathias for the upload which I am listening to as I type this thread - very, very enjoyable!

Mark Thomas

According to its listing in the catalogue of the Fleisher Collection in Philadelphia, the movements are:

I. Andante
II. Allegretto vivace e scherzando
III. Allegro ma non troppo ed energico
IV. Presto (perpetuum mobile)

eschiss1

Thanks! It was dedicated to the New York Philharmonic Club, by the way, and premiered by them in the winter of 1888-89. Strictly speaking it's for flute and string "quintet or orchestra" (quintet with double bass, that is).'

BTW that link to the Fleisher Collection is not alas a persistent link (in fact, it is already expir'd). this may work better, or this, or this.

Mark Thomas

semloh

What a beautiful work this is. I am sure Gernsheim should be rated up near the top of our most unjustly neglected composers. Thanks for making it available, Mathias.  :)

eschiss1

You're still right, but it is amazing how well his music is doing compared to - ok, how I know I thought it ever would (and I like his music and have always had high hopes for its success based on what I knew of it :) )  Going to listen to this recording soon, and then the quartet in F op.51 probably nearly contemporaneous with it too... agreed, thanks Mathias!

(Divertimento heard, divertimento enjoyed!)