News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Problems posting

Started by Gauk, Saturday 02 March 2013, 21:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Gauk

Whenever I try to post I get one of these captcha things and they are THE MOST unreadable ones I have ever seen. Do they ever go away? Even the audio version is hard to understand.

Mark Thomas

You will only have to run the gauntlet of CAPTCHA security and a wait for moderator approval for your first few posts. Both measures are part of our anti-spam defences. Irritating, but necessary.

Alan Howe

May I also take this opportunity to remind members not to post responses to music featured in the Downloads section in that section - it is intended for links to downloads only.

Gauk

Thanks ... and I spotted the Downloads notice too late, sorry!

Alan Howe

No harm done. And welcome to UC!

Gauk

I should mention, btw, that while here are the most awkward captchas I've ever seen, I rather liked the quiz questions that go with them. Except ... "How many symphonies did Dvorak write?" is a bit simple. "How many symphonies did Miaskovsky write?" would perhaps be more appropriate!

JimL

Well, both Dvorak and Myaskovsky composed 9 symphonies.  The only difference is that Myaskovsky followed up his 9 with 18 more!  ;D

petershott@btinternet.com

Very naughty of you, Jim!

pcc

I must say the quiz questions are a little irritating in that you have to find out _how_ to answer them in an almost Monty Python fashion.  "How many symphonies did Beethoven write?" "Nine." WRONG. The correct answer is "9".  "Which Strauss wrote The Blue Danube Waltz?" "Johann II." WRONG. "Johann Jr." WRONG. "Johann (Sohn)" WRONG.  The correct answer is "Johann".  Uh - WRONG.

This could be done better, if it needs to be done.

Alan Howe

Unfortunately, given the number of spammers around, we need some sort of filtering system. Anyway, welcome (back?) to UC!

Mark Thomas

As long as they are only  "little" irritating. When I have time, I'll tweak them to make the answer format more obvious (to humans).