Emil Nikolaus Joseph Freiherr von Reznicek

Started by namoji, Tuesday 30 March 2010, 15:31

Previous topic - Next topic

namoji

hello, it was only to express my admiration for the tragic symphony of this composer (was an Austrian composer born in Vien) who was completely unknown to me, listening to this symphony I have been with my mouth open, the orchestration is incredible color, use of woods, I read that he wrote 5 symphonies, 4 quartets and many vocal works, I have not heard any of them, the version I have of the symphony was performed by No.1 Symphony No1 in D minor, "Tragic" CPO 777223-2.,, if you have not heard anything about this composer because I recommend making the investment worthwhile, a great symphony and if they have heard something more than the then do not hesitate to share,

Alan Howe

Welcome, namoji!

Reznicek's 1st Symphony is indeed a striking work - but early, and so perhaps untypical. For me, his best music is in symphonic poems such as Der Sieger or Schlemihl which are great fun and brilliantly orchestrated - and also available on the cpo label.

chill319

I'll second Alan's recommendation of those two symphonic poems. After them, I think the Chamisso and Kol Nidrey variations on CPO wear very well indeed.

FBerwald

Didn't he also write a violin concerto? Anyone know of that?

Alan Howe

It's not a very good piece - some lovely melodies utterly spoilt by sour irony.

edurban

I got my Reznicek credentials in battle: at an orchestral Reznicek Festival (!) in NYC about 20 years ago.  It was either 2 or 3 concerts, I can't remember which...but either seems remarkable when you think about it!  By far the best and most convincing of the symphonies to me is the D Major (1918) which was recorded by the conductor/organizer of that festival, Gordon Wright.  It's a lightish, amusing, intelligent piece with a really beautiful slow movement. Highly conservative, of course, but with interesting moments of rhythmic and harmonic adventure.  But oh! that slow movement, what a tune!  Hunt this one down.

I'm with Alan about the violin concerto.  Weak stuff.

David

namoji

thanks to all the information in the coming months the wayward CPO'll buy the symphonic poems, I am interested to hear more, much music hidden in the shadows of oblivion, but life just slowly do justice to all those composers, ;D

Ilja

Gordon Wright recorded the 3rd/4th symphonies for Wergo (I think), but they've been out of the catalogue for years. A steal if you can pick them up though. Cpo is recording all orchestral material, but for some reason I can't fathom take ages to release it onto CD (the 1st symphony took about three years to get in stores).

Reznicek also wrote some wonderful chamber music, which I hope will find a decent performer soon.

Dundonnell

Whilst compiling the catalogue of Reznicek's orchestral music I was struck by two things-

firstly, the ongoing search for the huge Symphonic Poem "Frieden" for soloists, chorus and orchestra of 1914 which appears to been lost during World War Two

but secondly the intriguing "In Memoriam"- a 90 minute piece from 1915 for contralto, bass, chorus, organ and orchestra from 1915.

eschiss1

Koch Schwann rather than Wergo, memory serves- and the label itself is I believe now defunct anyway... I think. ... and why am I responding to a post from 2 years ago... sorry about that.

First I thought his E minor quartet had been, as per Wikipedia, lost/fragmentary/something; then the "2(4)" movements get posted in an edition to IMSLP with the information that two movements were later used in the B-flat quartet composed a year later... which sort of explains what was written there and ... -well, partially. Anyhow. Interesting about In Memoriam. Am guessing one knows about Frieden from letters or somesuch...