Bortkiewicz's 2nd and 3rd Piano Concerti

Started by Jonathan, Sunday 17 May 2009, 12:26

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

Mine arrived last night.  Just gave it one listen through, so I took it to the car, where I plan on giving it another few spins.

Kevin Pearson

Mine arrived yesterday also! I gave it one listen through and loved it! It kind of reminds me of Rachmaninoff in it's lushness and virtuosity. Thanks for the recommendation!

Kevin

JimL

I'm still assimilating the material, but it sounds pretty first-rate.  The structure of the left-hand concerto is somewhat reminiscent of the Glazunov VC, although there is no development or cadenza after the "slow movement" part of the first movement.  Also the work is tonally progressive (although one could probably call it in C Minor, as in Sauer's 2nd PC, which likewise ends in E-flat).  I really like the Allegro vivo, especially the 2nd theme.  I'm still working on the 3rd.

Amphissa

That was quick! Placed my order last Sunday evening (the 21st), so they saw it on Monday. I received it today (Saturday the 27th). I often do not receive delivery that quickly when placing orders within the U.S. In fact, I ordered the 2 symphonies from a shop in the U.S. on the 19th and it still has not arrived.

I've never heard any Bortkiewicz other than the 1st concerto by Coombs, so I'm interested to discover these other works.

Jonathan

I must report that today I finally had time to sit down and listen to the Bortkiewicz concerti - they really are superb.  I was especially impressed with the doom laden beginning to no.3.  A thoroughly worthwhile buy! :)

Thanks to all of you who helped me track down this CD.

JimL

I dunno.  That opening motive of the 3rd is awfully reminiscent of the opening of the Franck D Minor Symphony, Liszt's Les Preludes, and that "Muss es sein?" movement from Beethoven's last quartet, and the final section is a bunch of repetitive sequences of the same material.  I actually think that the 2nd Concerto is a more striking work. 

Amphissa

Took the time to listen to this disc tonight. Really like the concerto for left hand. Some beautiful writing in that piece, and enjoyable enough throughout to deserve a spot on a concert stage. I was less enchanted with the 3rd. Lots of notes and some really excellent passages, but overall rather sparse in melodic ideas - at least compared to the 2nd. Maybe it will grow on me.