Bortkiewicz's 2nd and 3rd Piano Concerti

Started by Jonathan, Sunday 17 May 2009, 12:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonathan

Morning All,
This has probably been mentioned before but I read recently that the recording of Bortkiewicz's 2nd and 3rd Piano concerti has been released.  I just wondered if anyone had bought it yet and, if so where from?  The details are as follows:
Stefan Doniga (piano); Czech Janáček Philharmonic Orchestra/David Porcelijn rec. 2008  NEDERLANDS MUZIEK INSTITUUT C13172 [58:32] - it's not on JPC, MDT, Amazon or Archiv (where Musicweb says you should be able to get it from) so where on earth do I get a copy?

Ilja

Hi, you can order your copy through the Netherlands Music Institute (http://www.nederlandsmuziekinstituut.nl/). Choose English as your language and go to the store (http://www.nederlandsmuziekinstituut.nl/en/webshop). You can pay using MC or Visa. Postage is 3 euros regardless of location, but as far as I can see the web store is only in Dutch. You can probably figure most things out yourselves, but if you need any help let me know.

Oh, and don't be put off by the bother - they're worth it.

Alan Howe

It's a very fine disc of some striking late-Romantic music in the mould of Rachmaninov. Hyperion should have done these - they'd have been onto a winnner.

Jonathan

Thanks for that Ilja!
Alan - perhaps they will record them in the future?

Alan Howe

I can't imagine that they will - but in any case they don't need to because the NMI disc is excellent. 

Gareth Vaughan

There is absolutely no chance of Hyperion recording the Bortkiewicz 2nd & 3rd PCs. They weren't on Mike Spring's list before, and they certainly won't be now. Get the Netherlands Music Institute disk - it's very good indeed; you won't be disappointed.

FBerwald

I just finished listening to the Bortkiewicz 2nd & 3rd and I think its Hyperion loss. Just No. 2 - What a stunning opening !!! By the way is there any plan for ever recording the Bortkiewicz Violin and Cello Concerti

Ilja

Hi, if the scores are half-decent, they'll get recorded. The Netherlands Music Institute has committed itself to doing all of Bortkiewicz's extant works. I remember seeing a radio recording of the VC listed in the Dutch Radio Archives, but when I requested it it turned out to be 'missing'. Curious, that...

orff

These two piano concertos are marvelous and anyone who doesn't own a recording is missing out, big time!  The 2nd, commissioned by Wittgenstein, is for the left hand (naturally) but you would not believe how rich and full the solo part sounds.  It is Rachmaninoff-ian in its style and, I think, the best of all the concertos written for Wittgenstein.  Although overshadowed, perhaps, by Ravel's and others - the Bortkiewicz is the most accomplished.

The Third Concerto - beginning in the minor key and in a somber mood (Bortkiewicz suffered dearly through two World Wars) it nevertheless continues to brighten as it progresses and, finally, ends with bells tolling, in C Major - an overwhelming coda to a magnificent concerto.

Get this disc!!!

Jonathan

Quote from: Ilja on Sunday 17 May 2009, 13:04
Hi, you can order your copy through the Netherlands Music Institute (http://www.nederlandsmuziekinstituut.nl/). Choose English as your language and go to the store (http://www.nederlandsmuziekinstituut.nl/en/webshop). You can pay using MC or Visa. Postage is 3 euros regardless of location, but as far as I can see the web store is only in Dutch. You can probably figure most things out yourselves, but if you need any help let me know.

Oh, and don't be put off by the bother - they're worth it.

Thanks Ilja, just placed my order - had no problems with the Dutch, thanks to a translation website!!
Eagerly awaiting the disc now.
Many thanks

Peter1953

My disc finally arrived today and I have just finished listening to both PC's for the first time. In one word: grandiose. How about the ominous opening of the 3rd?

You also get the shivers after reading everything Bortkiewicz and his wife have gone through in their lives. You can surf to the informative website www.bortkiewicz.com and see for instance all CD's available by now. This is going to be another attack on my wallet, but never mind. Bortkiewicz is a composer to love and explore.

Kevin Pearson

I appreciate the information about this work. I just ordered a copy. I hope I did it right because the fields seemed different from what I am used to but if they have a problem I guess they'll contact me.

Kevin

JimL

I know what you mean, Kevin.  I just ordered the thing myself, and I still don't know if it's going to the right address!  Where is that translation website?

Jonathan

Hi JimL,
Not sure if you are being serious or not about the translation website but i always use Babelfish!
I must admit that my CD arrived yesterday with my address in a somewhat interesting order so that city was second!!
Haven't had long enough spare to have a listen yet but should be able to sometime over the weekend.

Kevin Pearson

My copy arrived today! Pretty good service!!! I have yet to listen to it but I can't wait. Always love discovering new music.

Kevin