Harald Fryklöf (1882-1919)

Started by britishcomposer, Saturday 13 July 2013, 21:08

Previous topic - Next topic

britishcomposer

A few years ago I recorded a Piano Sonata in E minor by Harald Fryklöf. I would like to know the date of composition.
The best online resource, the Svenskt biografiskt lexikon, lists a "Sonat [e]" but provides no date.
http://www.nad.riksarkivet.se/sbl/Presentation.aspx?id=14524
Any help would be much appreciated!

eschiss1

Did he leave memoirs? The only sonatas of his I know of from any other sources are the Leggenda in C for violin/piano and an organ sonata that is mentioned somewhere-or-other...

Gareth Vaughan

British Library has the following:
Fuga for piano (1910)
Sonata à la legenda. För violin & piano (1919)
Symfoniskt stycke för orgel (1926)
Passacaglia för orgel (1929)

All published by: Musikaliska Konstföreningen, Stockholm.

I'm presuming the E minor sonata was unpublished.

eschiss1

And even then, since you're looking for composition dates, (1926) would be rather unhelpful ;).  Even the alla leggenda, published in 1919, was published I think posthumously, in an edition by Charles Barkel.

britishcomposer

Yes, I see, it's probably hopeless. Presumably Carin Gille-Rybrant played from the manuscript and it was not dated. Swedish Radio gives the dates in many cases but not here. Most likely that it couldn't be established.

eschiss1

unless they were on the manuscript, or something, or there is a good book specifically on Fryklöf that is well-researched in that way e.g..
(Though even dates on manuscripts can be misleading; F. Hiller's symphony op.67 (1848? E minor symphony) autograph manuscript has a date written on it (by the composer?) - but the date is later than its date of publication which in turn is much later than its known dates of early performances. It's perhaps the date on which the composer gave it as a present to a friend. Or-- something...)
Is the pianist alive, perhaps one can get in touch with the pianist?
I apologize for my temper btw...

britishcomposer

I have now written to Swedish Radio and to the Swedish Music Information Centre. Will keep you up-to-date.