Russian Orthodox chant influences in romantic orchestral setting with choir

Started by Crescendo, Friday 24 May 2013, 21:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Crescendo

Recently I came across Taneyev's John of Damascus Op.1 which struck my by its sheer beauty.
The special thing here is that it is a symphonic piece with chorus - drawing largely from russian orthodox chant.

Now I am wondering what else is out there in this vein?
I am looking for romantic/post romantic orchestral works with choir that work in russian orthodox chant in one way or another.
Any further recommendations?

Alan Howe

eschiss1

More sung, but All-night vigil settings by Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninov might be in that line?...

Crescendo

Grechaninov is a nice lead, I am checking this out.

All Night Vigil - Yes, those are beautiful. But they are a capella. I was looking more for some sort of choral symphony (or cantata) that includes Russian Orthodox chants within as well as dramatic orchestration. Taneyev really sparked some desire here with John of Damascus...

Gauk

Well, there is Rimsky's Russian Easter Overture ... no choir though.

savvy

Of course the two operas by Moussorgsky  :) And also their imitation in the Italian opera - for exemple the finale of Montemezzi's L'amore dei tre Re, or some parts of the second act of Zandonai's Melenis

Crescendo

There seem to be a few orchestral ones. Besides Rimsky-Korsakov there is also Glazunov with the Suite "The Kremlin" Op. 30 which is very nice.
I usually don't listen to opera, but maybe I should check out these Mussorgsky cues.

However, I can hardly believe that there is nothing more for choir and orchestra like the Taneyev. Maybe among the sovjet nationalistic works?

eschiss1

Hrm. I'm inclined to do a few melody-searches over on a few sites - do you have incipits (apologies for what is probably a silly or stupid question) for some of the chant themes in question, or somewhere I might find them? Otherwise I'm probably hunting blind for pieces-with-themes-like-these-from-the-Taneev (if I find the vocal score to it or the Grechaninov- I think IMSLP probably has some of these... or to another work which I gather uses Orthodox chant themes, like one of many settings of the Vigil, though some I am guessing use themes by the composer in a similar style - I may be searching "on" the wrong themes, is the thing)...

eschiss1

Guessing that some of Rimsky-Korsakov's cantatas may qualify. There's a recently-released (reissued?) recording on Brilliant Classics, which I haven't heard.

Christopher

It's from after "our" time, but the Domine Jesu Christe from Artyomov's Requiem fits the description of a "post romantic orchestral works with choir that work in russian orthodox chant" perfectly - orthodox choral chant you can just wallow in! Can beheard here -  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae8EtL8jLFo&feature=related 

(the rest of the Requiem is decidedly "modern", but the Domine Jesu Christe....just wow...)

An unsung work by Rimsky-Korsakov is "Our Father" - no orchestra sorry, but again glorious Orthodox harmonies that you just float on - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeQ0RvLTGKQ