BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Unsung Piano Composers

Started by Alkanator, Saturday 01 June 2013, 20:43

Previous topic - Next topic

thalbergmad

Quote from: eschiss1 on Monday 24 June 2013, 23:40

sonata in F minor Op.5, published by Witzendorf of Vienna, 1847

I don't know where you got this info from but the score is clearly marked Op.3.

Score obtained from the University of Innsbruck.

Thal

eschiss1

then I and my source (or the OCR of my source- let me check my notes) were mistaken... hrm. No, the original HMB scan, as well as the Hofmeister XIX OCR, both say Op.5 (sometimes the OCR gets it wrong, as computer character-reading software will)- so HMB got it wrong way back in 1847, I'm guessing - source. Thanks for the correction.

LateRomantic75

I don't know if Jongen's romantic/impressionstic music is off-limits here, but I'd like to put in a word for his gorgeously, shimmeringly atmospheric and often melodically memorable piano works, which should greatly appeal to admirers of Faure, Debussy and Ravel. The Klavier disc of some of Jongen's best piano works with Gary Stegall as pianist is strongly recommended as an entry point into his pianistic output. There is a more extensive series on Pavane which is worth exploring as well, but of course the music is more variable in quality. But Jongen on an off-day is far from bad!

Justin

Just happened to run across Baumfelder today when looking at piano works. Many of his 400+ works were destroyed during WWII, including 3 symphonies. Such a shame, as unlike other unsung composers, his works can never be resurrected.

Alan Howe

sdtom

I want to put in for Arensky since working on the review for "Egyptian Nights," I have discovered he is quite melodic, beautiful in fact, and while he has an output of 70+ works quite unknown.

izdawiz

Joseph Jongen- made a good amount of piano music.. there is a multi volume set of Cd's on the Pavane label with solo piano and also includes his music for 4 hands.  Highly attractive, polished music from an accomplished composer which I would rate as still unsung.

eschiss1

I would have to put in a word for Robert Fuchs' (1847-1927) 3 lovely (published) piano sonatas. The 3rd (Op.109 in D-flat major, 1918), especially, reminds me of some of Schubert's later piano works in feeling (and maybe a few near-quotes) without attempting to "sound like a work of the 1820s" or anything other than a work by its composer.

sdtom

my latest assignment is Rubenstein not unsung, his second and fourth.

eschiss1

(Do you mean Albert Rubenson? I'm unfamiliar with his piano music.) Or Rubinstein- there are a few, but the one with 4 piano sonatas- those are pretty good, yes.

(the OP specified solo piano, remember, not concertos!)

Mark Thomas

I think Tom means the recent cpo CD of the 2nd and 4th piano concertos... or maybe I'm mistaken.

sdtom

YES YES YES. I like #4 a lot.

4candles

I'm not sure whether George Frederick Pinto's piano music is unsung - it is certainly seldom programmed to my knowledge - but I was thoroughly impressed with the 'proto-Romantic' nature of some of his music I encountered on a disk by English pianist Thomas Wakefield.

Wakefield's recording included: Fantasia and Sonata in C minor | Sonata in E flat minor, Op.3/1 | Sonata in A major, Op.3/2 | Sonata in C minor | Sonatina in C major | Minuetto.

4c

sdtom

what would you consider his best themes if any in his piano works. His 4th? What else?