Josef Bohuslav Foerster (1859-1951)

Started by LateRomantic75, Tuesday 02 July 2013, 19:16

Previous topic - Next topic

LateRomantic75

I was quite surprised to see there is no thread devoted to the very fine Czech late-romantic composer Josef Bohuslav Foerster. In recent years, there has been a flood of recordings of his music-the MD&G cycle of his five symphonies (which has been rather underrated, in my view), the Supraphon discs of the violin concertos and the chamber music, and the Naxos disc containing the Symphony no. 4 and other works. Foerster may not display a staggeringly individual voice (Dvorak, Smetana, Tchaikovsky, Mahler, R. Strauss and Suk are all influences on his style at various points), but his music has an immensely appealing freshness and color. For the most part, Foerster skillfully avoids the hyper-melodramatic cliches found in some of the music of his contemporaries. Much of his music is sunnily lyrical in character (evoking the Bohemian countryside), but that certainly doesn't mean it lacks depth or drama. Although Foerster's style changed little throughout his long life, there is hardly a feeling of sameness between his works.

Foerster's Symphony no. 4 Easter Eve is generally regarded as his masterpiece. I would agree with that statement-it is a grand work which represents Foerster at his most serious (and Mahlerian), but it is a gloriously uplifting work. The Smetacek performance of this work on Supraphon is the definitive version by far. If you're new to Foerster, investigate this work first, then move onto his magically orchestrated and melodious orchestral suites From Shakespeare and Cyrano de Bergerac, as well as his Violin Concerto no. 1 and his folksy opera Eva. Finally, investigate the rest of the symphonies, the Cello Concerto, and the chamber works, the latter of which are among Foerster's most personal utterances.

Foerster has been extraordinarily lucky in having so much of his output recorded in excellent performances, but there are still some works of his that remain unrecorded, most notably his two cello sonatas and some cantatas. His Cantata May, which can be found on YouTube, is quite a gorgeous piece with some excellent vocal writing.

Anyone else an admirer of this fine composer?

Alan Howe

Actually, there have been a number of discussions of Foerster's music here. Please do a search of the entire site to read what has been said about him.
FWIW none of his music quite does it for me, although I've faithfully collected the symphonies and concertos over the years.

LateRomantic75

Oh, I just meant that there was no single thread specifically devoted to discussion of Foerster (I performed a search BTW). He may not be an undiscovered master and not everyone will warm to his style, but I thought him deserving of his own thread, at least :)

Again, if you are only going to have one Foerster disc on your collection, it should be the Supraphon one with his Symphony no. 4 and Symphonic Poem Springtime and Desire. Alan, you said you've collected the symphonies and concertos-have you tried his chamber works? Overall, they're more intimate, dark and personal than the orchestral works, if not as immediately appealing.

X. Trapnel

Actually, Foerster's cello sonatas have been recorded by the Duo Moravia (Tudor 7071). Also on the disc are the Three Nocturnes for cello, viola, piano and the Melodie for cello and piano.

Alan Howe

His music just hasn't got enough fire in its belly for me. I have known the 4th Symphony for years and admire its obvious dignity and depth of feeling. However, compared with, say, Suk's roughly comtemporaneous Asrael Symphony, I find it rather lacks grip. Nevertheless, I'll have to dig out some of his music and give it another listen.

semloh

Like Alan, I've carefully collected whatever Foerster I could over the years and always thought I should enjoy it more than I actually do. Alan's description captures my reactions perfectly, but I will also give me another run....   :)

eschiss1

Now that there's a recording of his string quartets I'm looking forward to hearing it. I do like the recordings I've heard of his violin concertos, cello concerto and several of his symphonies.

LateRomantic75

Quote from: X. Trapnel on Tuesday 02 July 2013, 21:47
Actually, Foerster's cello sonatas have been recorded by the Duo Moravia (Tudor 7071). Also on the disc are the Three Nocturnes for cello, viola, piano and the Melodie for cello and piano.

Thank you, but this disc seems to be exceedingly difficult to get ahold of at the present moment. US Amazon sellers are asking in excess of $100 for used copies :(

LateRomantic75

Quote from: Alan Howe on Tuesday 02 July 2013, 22:50
His music just hasn't got enough fire in its belly for me. I have known the 4th Symphony for years and admire its obvious dignity and depth of feeling. However, compared with, say, Suk's roughly comtemporaneous Asrael Symphony, I find it rather lacks grip. Nevertheless, I'll have to dig out some of his music and give it another listen.

Indeed, please do give Foerster another go! Suk's Asrael is a smoldering masterpiece and Foerster's music will definitely seem tame in comparison to it, but on its own it can be rather affecting in a different way than Suk. Suk was undoubtedly a greater composer than Foerster, though.

Alan Howe

Patricia Goodson

Several recordings of Foerster`s works can be found on the website cdmusic.cz, but alas not the Duo Moravia disk mentioned above.  I have recently recorded his complete solo piano works, which runs to four CDs.  The set will be released on the Brilliant Classics label on Dec. 1, 2014.  Someone kindly mentioned this in an earlier thread.  This led, I believe, to some donations to my Kickstarter appeal which helped finance the project, so thanks to everyone at Unsung Composers.

eschiss1

Thank you! May we ask about some other projects being mulled (mooted? ???)

Patricia Goodson

You`re welcome.  I don`t know of any other recording projects right now.  Czech Radio recorded the cello sonatas, but they remain more or less locked up in the radio archives, and I suspect there are other Foerster works there as well.  In Prague, the JB Foerster Society recently gained a new lease on life after several years of relative inactivity, and will work to propagate his music.  They will have a concert series this season in Prague entitled "Josef Foerster: European" in order to put him in a larger context.  A complete catalog of his works has just been published by Dr. Jana Fojtíková.

petershott@btinternet.com

I've somehow missed the 'earlier thread' that you refer to, Patricia (if I may!). But I'm especially pleased to read that Brilliant plan to release a 4CD set of the complete solo piano works. Wonderful - and you can be assured that a copy of the set will be clutched in my eager hands on the day of its release.

I guess you have the field all to yourself, for I'm not aware of any other recordings of the piano music. And actually I'm surprised that the music extends to four CDs - I didn't realise there was so much of it. I remember once (many years ago) hearing an early Scherzo for piano, but that's about it. Are we, roughly speaking, in the same territory as Dvorak and Smetana?

I was a trifle dismayed that others on the forum, whilst confessing to some enjoyment of Foerster, don't give it perhaps unqualified full praise. True, the orchestral music can tend to meander a little without much in the way of rigorous development (the second Violin Concerto especially). But in my view the String Quartets and the Piano Trios are works to treasure. I shall much look forward to the piano music keeping company with the excellent Supraphon sets of those works on my shelves. I offer warm best wishes for the success of this set, and look forward to it with a great deal of interest.