News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Cipriani Potter

Started by albion, Tuesday 13 April 2010, 17:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Pengelli

Did 'Prometheus Unbound' deserve to sink,(largely), without a trace,though? (I haven't had time to absorb the music yet).
I do rather like your cosmic analogy of a 'big bang' in British music. For a land without music there was certainly a heck of allot going on.

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteThey are here old chap. No's 170-172

Thanks. I will try to have a look at them next time I'm in town. A pity they were never printed - even the piano part - but good to know they exist. What's your opinion, Thalberg, on the quality of what you've seen?

thalbergmad

I will see if i can link a page.

One of the better ones I have seen.

Thal

John H White

Many Thanks, Albion, for your re-assuring post. The fact that I got warnings both from my own anti-virus software and from MacAffee Site Adviser at the same time really did get me worried. I gather, from that other forum that you directed me to, that MacAffee tends to be a bit over zealous at times.
    By the way, I too taped some Potter symphonies etc. off the BBC Radio 3 broadcasts some years back, but I still haven't got round to working out how to convert them to Wav or MP3 files.

eschiss1

If you already have them as audio files on computer, you just need iTunes or similar software - if they're still on tapes you need other hardware and software (depends on your setup)- not something I know much about.

Mark Thomas

I have uploaded a recording of the Radio 3 broadcast of Potter's String Quartet in G here: http://www.mediafire.com/?9tb4dkl6pjtv6

I don't know the performers or the movement titles, I'm afraid.

albion

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Tuesday 04 January 2011, 07:49
I have uploaded a recording of the Radio 3 broadcast of Potter's String Quartet in G here: http://www.mediafire.com/?9tb4dkl6pjtv6

I don't know the performers or the movement titles, I'm afraid.
Great - thanks, Mark!  ;D

The Quartet dates from 1837 and the performers are the Fairfield Quartet (Radio 3 broadcast on 2/3/1989). The last movement utilises an extremely catchy melody from the G minor Symphony (1832).

albion

Here are some portraits and a sculpture of the great man himself:

Mark Thomas

albion

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Tuesday 04 January 2011, 09:47
Why the long face?
He's probably fed up of waiting to be acknowledged as the first truly significant British symphonist!  ;D

Alan Howe

I wouldn't call Potter great myself, but he was a very fine composer and badly needs re-assessment. 'Significant'? - definitely. Great? No.

thalbergmad

He has a majestic nose.

Thal

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteOne of the better ones I have seen.

Yes - well, it's a nice opening. Thanks.

albion

Quote from: thalbergmad on Tuesday 04 January 2011, 12:19
He has a majestic nose.

Thal
Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Thursday 06 January 2011, 12:56
QuoteOne of the better ones I have seen.

Yes - well, it's a nice opening. Thanks.
It took me a little while to work out exactly what was being complimented!

Pengelli

Yes,because you cant really see his nostrils.