News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Cipriani Potter

Started by albion, Tuesday 13 April 2010, 17:58

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

and even the most recent recording (I know of) of one of his symphonies is on a label that seems to have come and gone (Bostock's of no.7, F major on Classico). Well, the future is another thing.

kitmills

Thanks so much for the sound file upload of a year ago!  Up 'til now Cipriani Potter only sort of vaguely brought to mind Harry Potter.  Now I regret my unwitting ignorance and low-browed idiocy, and vow to further investigate and promote the unsung C. P. forthwith.

This is a great site, and I wish I could visit more often.  It's like having a constant stream of birthday presents, many of which are things I'd never have thought to ask for, but delight in having them once received and sampled. 

britishcomposer

Quote from: kitmills on Sunday 30 October 2011, 05:42
Up 'til now Cipriani Potter only sort of vaguely brought to mind Harry Potter.  Now I regret my unwitting ignorance and low-browed idiocy,

Perhaps they are related: Cipriani was a magician of sounds, wasn't he? ;)  ;D

Jimfin

I think it's becoming clear that the renaissance started gradually, maybe in the 1820s and 30s, with the rise of Potter, MacFarren (who seems to be making a comeback), Sterndale Bennett, Balfe and Wallace, and also with events like the founding of the Philharmonic Society and the RAM, and even the creation of the first musical knight, Sir Henry Rowley Bishop, in 1842. Sullivan then represented the next phase and highlighted how much people hoped for an 'English Beethoven', while Parry, Stanford et al. brought British music up-to-date with the continent.

albion

I have scanned and uploaded my copy of the piano duet arrangement of Potter's Symphony in D (1834) to IMSLP.

The last of his nine extant symphonies, it is a wonderfully inventive score as can be heard in the 1995 broadcast recording.

:)

Peter1953

After reading so many positive comments on Potter's music I found myself very lucky to find a copy of the CD with the Symphonies 8 in E flat major and 10 in G minor at a reasonable price in France.
I like the opening Maestoso of the E flat symphony in particular. In the 2nd movement of the G minor symphony features a special but humble role for a solo violin and solo cello. In short, to my ears these symphonies are closer to Haydn than to Schumann. In a certain way they remind me of Ries. Not groundbreaking, no early romantic fire, no Sturm und Drang, but elegant and a pleasant listening experience.

JimL

The tempo indication for the finale I want is for the one that has the first movement marked Allegro con fuoco.  I believe it's the 1826 work.

albion

The finale of the 1826 Symphony in C minor is Allegro (4/4) - Presto (2/4), 275 bars.

JimL

With thanks.  I'm also wondering about the E-flat Symphony (#5 or 8).  I'm not entirely sure about the order of the movements.  Is the first movement the one with a Maestoso introduction or the finale?  Also, is the Scherzo the 2nd or 3rd movement?

albion

Symphony in E flat (1828) -

1. Maestoso (4/4) - Allegro non tanto (3/4), 380 bars
2. Andante con moto ma sostenuto (2/4), 151 bars
3. Scherzo: Allegro vivace (3/4), 171 bars
4. Finale: Allegro vivace (split common time), 450 bars

JimL

eschiss1

Here also.
I know some of these works have been published in facsimile or even new typeset scores by Julian Rushton for Stainer & Bell, and for others  (and perhaps parts also, one can hope- scores are one thing, parts make things much easier for that hoped-for eventual performing ensemble- well, one _can_ hope. And having heard Potter's symphonies, I do so hope; more music on the list of "who cares who influenced him or what 'style' describes this- the music is just too enjoyable, deservedly self-confident, inventive, ... for me not to want to hear it again and more of it :) , and under other performers for comparison...- I should go hear the Classico CD of the F major, for instance. Anyway. Slightly off-course...)

anyhow, is there any news whether they'll be republishing / typesetting more of his music (or have done) (or only intend to do one or two symphonies)? The former would be a good thing considering the difficulty of finding older scores and parts.

(Hrm. I wonder if the Potter symphony in G minor published ca. 1835 as "Symphony in G minor ... Arranged for Flute, 2 Violins, 2 Tenors, Violoncello and Double Bass. [Parts.]." is the same that has now been published in full unarranged score in 2001 in that Rushton edition? Hrm. Probably I suppose though it -could- be our symphony "no.1" instead...)

albion

Quote from: eschiss1 on Monday 25 June 2012, 12:30is there any news whether they'll be republishing / typesetting more of his music (or have done) (or only intend to do one or two symphonies)? The former would be a good thing considering the difficulty of finding older scores and parts.

Unfortunately, the answer is 'no'. Only the Symphony in G minor (1832) and the overture Antony and Cleopatra (1835) have been published in full score and there doesn't appear to have been any interest in putting further Potter scores into print. However, there clearly must be orchestral parts available that are at least legible/ playable from for those works which have been (relatively) recently revived:

Symphony [No.3] in C minor (1826) - BBC studio recording
Symphony [No.4] in F major (1826) - BBC studio recording/ Classico recording
Symphony [No.5] in E flat major (1828, revised with replacement slow movement 1846) - BBC studio recording/ Unicorn-Kanchana recording
Symphony [No.6] in G minor (1832) - BBC studio recording/ Unicorn-Kanchana recording
Symphony [No.8] in C minor (1834) - BBC studio recording
Symphony [No.9] in D major (1834) - BBC studio recording
The Tempest, overture (1837) - BBC studio recording

Quote from: eschiss1 on Monday 25 June 2012, 12:30(Hrm. I wonder if the Potter symphony in G minor published ca. 1835 as "Symphony in G minor ... Arranged for Flute, 2 Violins, 2 Tenors, Violoncello and Double Bass. [Parts.]." is the same that has now been published in full unarranged score in 2001 in that Rushton edition? Hrm. Probably I suppose though it -could- be our symphony "no.1" instead...)

Yes, it's the 1832 work.

badams@nl.rogers.com

Would anybody be able to confirm for me who the peformers are in the revised second movement of the E flat symphony?  This information may very well be posted somewhere in this topic already, but I haven't been smart enough to find it (an all too common failing with me, I'm afraid).

Brian

albion

Sorry - for some reason I omitted this from the catalogue. It's the Ulster Orchestra, conducted by Hilary Davan Wetton.