News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Karl Goldmark (1830-1915)

Started by Peter1953, Sunday 04 August 2013, 10:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter1953

For a few weeks now, since I have received the new release of Goldmark's Violin Concerto coupled with his Violin Sonata op. 25 (violinist Thomas Albertus Irnberger), I have been listening to everything I have from this composer. Over and over again. It has been a personal rediscovery of a – by me - almost completely forgotten, unsung genius (I know, a very delicate word).

His opus 28 is perhaps one of the most romantic violin concertos I know of. Irnberger lets his violin sing and cry, especially in the 1st and 2nd movement. Pure emotion.

Symphony No. 1 is very famous, but his 2nd is absolutely worth listening as well.

Please discover his utterly beautiful chamber music. Try his Piano Quintets (ever heard a more magical movement than the Adagio of his op. 30?) and Piano Trios. I have already mentioned his Violin Sonata. You will be surprised.

The only other discs I have are Vol. 1, 2 and 3 of his Piano Music. I understand that Vol. 4 is released, but cannot find a copy yet.

There is fortunately more to discover and my collection is not complete (I know, the Queen of Sheba, but I'm not a big opera fan).

Goldmark's romantic music is melodious, intimate, full of passion and offers many pleasant listening hours. How could I have ignored Goldmark so long?

Alan Howe

Quote from: Peter1953 on Sunday 04 August 2013, 10:09
How could I have ignored Goldmark so long?

This is a question I often ask myself about so many composers/compositions. Personally, I think it's a good sign: it means that one's explorations are never complete and one's views always open to revision...

FBerwald

I asked myself the same question once i stumbled upon this Violin Concerto played by Joshua Bell. It was a wonderful discovery for me - both Goldmark and Bell [even though many people don't like his style of playing!]