News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Henry Holmes 1839-1905

Started by giles.enders, Saturday 10 August 2013, 11:02

Previous topic - Next topic

giles.enders

Henry Holmes  Born London 7 November 1839   -  Died San Francisco 9 December 1905

The fourth of six children2, he first studied with his father Thomas Holmes1 and later at Spohr's Violin School.  His first public appearance was at the age of eight.  From his late teens he toured Northern Europe with his brother Alfred, both playing the violin.  In 1864 Alfred decided to settle in Paris and Henry returned to London where he obtained the post of Professor of violin at The Royal College of Music.  It was during this period that most of his compositions were written.  In 1894 he was involved in a scandal relating to some female students and left for San Francisco where most of his remaining years were spent as a violin teacher.

( Not to be confused with William Henry Holmes  1812-1885 )

Orchestral

Symphony 'Fraternity'
Symphony in A major 'Cumberland'  1872 (premiered at Crystal Palace)
Symphony 'Boscastle'  1887
Symphony No.4
Overture for Orchestra
Violin Concerto in F major  1875

Chamber

Piano Quintet
String Quartet No.1
String Quartet No.2
Octet for wind and strings
Grand duo concertante for two violins; Gaiete, Une Larme, Le Printemps. Op.9  pub. by Hofmeister
Three morceau de salon for violin and piano  Op.7
Impromptu for cello and piano  1881

Song

There are reports of these but I have been unable to trace them.

Vocal

'Christmas'  cantata  words by Keble  1880
'Praise ye the Lord'  cantata Op.36

1. Thomas Holmes was by trade a baker according to the 1851 cenus
Sara Ann Holmes 1831   singing teacher
Frances Holmes 1835
Alfred Holmes 1837-1876
Henry Holmes 1839-1905
Clara Holmes 1842
Edward Holmes 1847  railway signalman

eschiss1

Worldcat lists
"3 penseĢes fugitives : pour violon et pianoforte : oeuvre 5" - I don't know the composition date so can't be as specific as above, but publication date was 1863.

Catalan-Wikipedia claims, perhaps mistakenly, that he wrote 2 string quintets (as well?).

petershott@btinternet.com

Doesn't it make a chap weep how Giles keeps producing examples of interesting and possibly fine music that one hasn't a hope in hell of ever hearing?

Alan Howe

Quote from: petershott@btinternet.com on Saturday 10 August 2013, 17:34
Doesn't it make a chap weep how Giles keeps producing examples of interesting and possibly fine music that one hasn't a hope in hell of ever hearing?

Agreed - although one has no way of knowing whether the music is any good without an assessment of the scores. That, it seems to me, is the proper starting-point.

eschiss1

Some of these scores do exist in some form and even published (though sometimes only vocal score for the vocal works, probably- still, someone who wants to hear a cantata can accept a playthrough from a vocal score as at least better than if the work had disappeared quite entirely...)- the cantata Op.36 (words by Isaac Watts it seems?) was published by Augener, for instance, and Op.44 by Pond of New York... and the Impromptu, and Opp.5 7 & 9 seem to have survived. The British Library has some of these works as well. (The Royal Dutch Library has copies of Op.5 and of Op.9/2; the Royal Danish Library has - perhaps they might digitize (I don't have an account to make a request- yet-but someone else might?...), and then it would be available for general browsing?... - a copy of the cantata already mentioned "Praise Ye the Lord, Op.36".)

semloh

Quote from: petershott@btinternet.com on Saturday 10 August 2013, 17:34

Couldn't agree more. And, I am sure that someone with such a distinguished surname would write very fine music indeed!  ;D

giles.enders

One problem I have is that I have never had the ability to look at a score and HEAR it, I have to hear it played, however badly, to know if I believe it to be worthwhile.  What I try to do is to make others aware of the fact that some of this music is there to be explored.  I do know from contacts elsewhere, that posts on this forum are looked at and sometimes followed up.

And speaking for myself, Giles, I much appreciate what you do (even though it may bring on the weeps!)

matesic

I'm making a collection of musical pariahs (who wrote string quartets), so far comprising Goossens and Graener. Holmes sounds like a perfect member of the club! Some of you will know that similar scandals regarding music teachers and their students have been surfacing in the UK recently, so he can be regarded as a pioneer. Unfortunately so far I can't find anything of his in the British Library catalogue.

matesic

In the BL catalogue, apart from violin teaching material and edited compendia of other composers, I can only find "Impromptu, a facile solo for Violin (or Violoncello) with Pianoforte accompaniment" and the 3 morceaux de salon listed by Giles. More unsung pariahs, anyone?

Do tread carefully! Goossens may have fallen from grace on account of items in his suitcase other than musical scores. However so far as I know he was never guilty of exploiting any other person, let alone students within his charge. On the contrary it seems that he himself was exploited, and mightily so. That makes him a very different figure to those working within colleges and academies within the UK to whom you refer (and I know nothing at all about whatever 'scandals' Holmes may or may not have been embroiled within).

Goossens (Eugene that is) is a figure outside the domain of our interest in UC. However worth pointing out that (in my view at least) he was an especially distinguished composer, and also made a valuable and permanent contribution to musical life, especially in Australia.

For those who want more on the Goossens family try Carole Rosen's fascinating and very readable book. Cor blimey, what a wonderful and quite marvellous family they were! Some of us will be long enough in the tooth to remember Sidonnie Goossens at various Proms in the Albert Hall.

And string quartets? I see Eugene Goossens is credited with two string quartets. For good or ill, they seem to have been entirely forgotten: I've never heard performances (or broadcasts) of them. Wonder if they are any good? In addition to the Chandos series of the orchestral music (which seems to have fizzled out) there is a super boxed set of the orchestral music conducted by Vernon Handley on ABC. But since all this music is post-1920 further comment would not be appropriate here.

eschiss1

Goossens' string quartets?
Most of his works for string quartet can be heard in recordings made by matesic over at IMSLP and seen in score or parts, too (the Fantasy Op.12, the quartet no.1 Op.14, and in Canada only (for copyright reasons) the string quartet no.2 Op.59. Also his two sketches, which have been recorded in string-orchestra form and one of them in the string quartet original (1920s, I think).)
Those I can hear seem -quite- good...

BFerrell

Goossens was "set up" by enemies in Australia who were against his enlightened plans for the "professionalization" of the Sydney Opera and Orchestra. A few nasty magazines, sex toys and photos of his "witch" girlfriend  placed in his briefcase and custom officials (tipped off ahead of time) waiting for him when he arrived in Sydney. The old ladies of the opera were of course scandalized and the plan worked perfectly. He was gotten rid of. The Sydney Opera could return to its days of mediocrity and sub-par "girlfriend" singers.  It is very unjust to call him a pariah in any way.
BTW Chandos is continuing the series. Volume 2 was just released.

matesic

Is nobody standing up for Paul Graener? He may have joined the Nazi party, but I know of no evidence that he ever committed any crime or colluded in any persecution. I was using the word "pariah" in its OED sense of a social outcast, not necessarily a criminal, and there's no doubt that Graener's posthumous reputation has been sullied, justly or not.  And I know we shouldn't talk about Goossens after lights out, but thanks Eric for the plug!

Alan Howe

We're way off topic here, gentlemen. Back to HH...