News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Rostislav Boiko

Started by scarpia, Thursday 07 November 2013, 16:46

Previous topic - Next topic

scarpia

I just got a recording of his 3rd Symphony at a used CD shop and listened to it a couple of times. Very Russian, tonal and accessible - not at all modernist. The way I like my Russian music. Also has some other cool stuff - Gutsul Rhapsody, Volga Rhapsody,  and Carpathian Rhapsody on the disc. I'm sure I have a recording of his 2nd Symphony somewhere - but I can't locate it. I am sure I bought it a few years back. 

Any other fans of Boiko? Any rare recordings of his stuff? I can't find any indication that his 1st Symphony has been recorded.

eschiss1

I see from Russiancomposers.org.uk that there's 4 symphonies-
"The Year 1917 Symphony after Bagritsky and Mayakovsky for voice, chorus and orchestra Op.13 " (ca.1958?)
"Symphony No.1" (ca.1976?)
"Symphony No.2 op.64" (1978, published 1982)
Symphony No.3 in D minor for voice, chorus and orchestra Op.76 (1986)

There is an LP with his 1960 violin sonata (Op.12) listed @ Worldcat.

Dave

I have that CD myself and yes, the music is fairly traditional. I remember liking the Gutsul Rhapsody highly (and enjoying the Festive Overture). His Second Symphony was re-issued by Russia Revelation (to me a great series of the 1990s). I don't think his First Symphony was ever recorded though.

alberto

Count also me if not really a fan, an owner of the Cd with the Symphonies 2 and 3 (and the fillers) under Svetlanov.
Anyway I remember playful listening, time allowing I will return to them.