Great (or Compelling) Nielsen Conductors on Record

Started by Dave, Thursday 07 November 2013, 20:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Now that Nielsen is getting more of the attention he rightly and richly deserves (albeit gradually and unevenly), it will be interesting to examine the maestros who effectively (or compellingly) gave us glimpses (or pictures) of Nielsen the composer and what he did in the development of Danish music (and beyond Denmark, for he had his own say on progressive tonality which impacted on the art, and perhaps, the science of composition - Look at Robert Simpson the composer and scholar for instance).

Clearly Erik Tuxen, Thomas Jensen, and Launy Grøndahl were the earliest conductors to record Nielsen's music, but in terms of exposing the music to the wider audience outside Denmark, Leonard Bernstein, I felt, really jump started that (not taking away the pioneering efforts of Stokowski, Horenstein, Max Rudolf, Martinon, and Morton Gould). Eugene Ormandy played a huge role in this also. Blomstedt came alone and did comprehensive surveys of Nielsen's orchestral music (first with the Danish Radio Symphony Orchestra and then with the San Francisco Symphony) while Ole Schmidt's set with the London Symphony is a milestone in its own right. By the 1980s and onward, there was really no turning back, and now there are no less than ten cycles of the symphonies and with more on the way (Gilbert is doing one with the New York Philharmonic to commemorate the 150th Anniversary of Nielsen's birth).   

Great (or Compelling) Nielsen Conductors? Other than Erik Tuxen, Thomas Jensen, and Launy Grøndahl, whose recordings give us glimpses of how Nielsen himself approached his own music, I would also mention:

Bernstein: for this unrelenting energy and non-sentimental approach to Nielsen's rugged symphonic landscape, and yet found much humanity in the writing that's swelling. Take the beautiful second part of the Fifth Symphony's first movement for instance. And special mention must go to Elden C. Bailey, perhaps the most captivating snare drummer on record.

Bryden Thomson: for his straight-faced, unadorned approach to Nielsen, yet give the works the appropriate level of cragginess they require (the Third Symphony, for instance, which is among the best in the market in my opinion). And yet, he has something fresh to say, like in the First Symphony for instance.

Myung-whun Chung, Blomstedt & Jarvi: who share the virtues of Bernstein, but with the dynamism that does not distract from Nielsen power of communication (but enhances it instead).

Ole Schmidt: his ensemble can be scrappy, but the sheer vitality and intensity of their readings cannot be ignored.

Douglas Bostock: for his unerring sense of directness and warmth (despite balancing issues in some of the recordings).

Horenstein: Unfortunately he did not do as much Nielsen as I would have like to see, but his efforts are more than noteworthy. His recording of "Saul and David" demonstrates  the level of his sympathy with the score and his understanding of the composer.

Other glowing recordings:
Zubin Mehta with the Los Angeles Philharmonic (Nielsen's Fourth).
Solonen with the Swedish Radio Symphony (Nielsen's Second & Violin Concerto, Cho-Liang Lin - soloist).
Kubelik with the Danish Radio Symphony (Nielsen's Fifth, a very fresh, insightful reading).
Ormandy with the Philadelphia (Nielsen's Sixth).
Bernstein with the Royal Danish Orchestra (Nielsen's Third).
Bernstein and the NY Phil. with Stanley Drucker (Clarinet Concerto)
Mogens Woldike and Danish State Radio Orchestra with Ib Erikson (Clarinet Concerto)
Thomas Jensen and Danish State Radio Orchestra with Gilbert-Jespersen (Flute Concerto)
Ulf Schirmer with Soloists and Danish National Royal Symphonic Orchestra and Choir (Maskarade).
Gennady Rozhdestvensky and the Danish Radio Symphony (Aladdin).
Thomas Dausgaard with the Danish Radio Symphony (Nielsen's overtures).

But enough of my take. Please, what say you?

scarpia

Herbert Blomstedt --oops you already mentioned him. Looks like you missed Paavo Bergland though.

sdtom

Quote from: scarpia on Thursday 07 November 2013, 21:17
Herbert Blomstedt --oops you already mentioned him. Looks like you missed Paavo Bergland though.

I too have the set with the San Francisco and am quite satisfied.
Tom

NP: PROKOFIEV SYMPHONY NO. 4 (REVISED VERSION) WITH MARIN ALSOP AND THE SAO PAULO SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA

Dave

Quote from: scarpia on Thursday 07 November 2013, 21:17

I have to confess I have not heard any of Berglund's recordings of Nielsen's music, let alone his symphonies.

alberto

IMHO two "glowing recordings" are Karajan's and Markevich's Fourth Symphony.
Among complete cycles I would not neglect the Schoenwandt.

Alan Howe

I'd say that Nielsen was no longer an unsung composer.

Dave

I think in some respects he is still an unsung composer (I live in the Washington DC area and his name is barely known: radio stations here do not play his music regularly, rarely in fact). Secondly, concert and theatrical performances of his works are not frequent, let alone regular events esp. in the U.S. And thirdly, there is a large amount of his works that are not so known, if at all. His songs (around 300) are barely known outside Denmark and his chamber and piano music are rarely performed and recorded in comparison to the symphonies (and to a lesser extent, his concerti). His operas and incidental music are also victims of this obscurity.

But the tides are turning (albeit slowly) in his favor, I'm pleased to report. The recordings (and the artists behind them) must take most of the credits for that.

sdtom

Quote from: Alan Howe on Friday 08 November 2013, 07:35
I'd say that Nielsen was no longer an unsung composer.

I think for what it's worth that he still is in that unsung status although Alan would present his case well as usual.
Tom

Paul Barasi

Quote from: Dave on Thursday 07 November 2013, 20:53

Pretty much spot on, Dave. Erik Tuxen, Thomas Jensen, certainly, but somehow I have never managed to remedy missing 1 of the 3 originals. I think those two I have do stand up well to later recordings.

Is Nielsen one of the truly great symphonists? Unquestionably. Is he still unsung? Here I dare argue with the master of categories, Alan Howe.

I would not expect many concert halls to put on the Nielsen cycle over a season (an easier proposition than doing the Mahler cycle), there is not seemingly a performing tradition commensurate with the quality of the symphonies, and too many top conductors and orchestras of yesterday and today haven't recorded any of them. I suspect that among classical music fans, Nielsen remains poorly explored territory and maybe even among those who rate him there are many (like me) who (unjustifiably) don't listen to his symphonies that often. 

Alan Howe

In the UK, the late Colin Davis' Nielsen series at the Barbican did a lot to raise his profile in recent years. I've always been convinced of the composer's greatness and can't really remember ever considering him unsung as there have always been recordings of his symphonies around in my lifetime and (at least occasional) high-profile public performances of his music; no doubt much of this is attributable to the advocacy in these parts of the great Robert Simpson.

Alan Howe

According to ArkivMusic Nielsen's music is currently available in multiple recordings. Even his 6th Symphony has been recorded by 15 different conductors. Would that Draeseke or Raff had received such attention! Nielsen is unlikely ever to be popular - he's not that sort of composer - but he's definitely not unsung.

Revilod

Nielsen is Denmark's greatest composer, of course, yet, on a visit to Copenhagen a few years ago, I was surprised to see that there was no effigy of him in the Madame Tussaud's next to Tivoli. I complained and, to his credit, the attendant knew of Nielsen and agreed that the omission was a "bad mistake".

As much as I love his music, I always feel especially drawn to Nielsen because he seems like such a nice guy! The pictures of him assing around in front of the camera as a boy surely have no parallel:

http://www.fellow.dk/images/Klovnearket.jpg

and as for that story of him splitting his trousers in the presence of the Queen....!

Dave

Quote from: Paul Barasi on Friday 08 November 2013, 17:14
Quote from: Dave on Thursday 07 November 2013, 20:53

Pretty much spot on, Dave. Erik Tuxen, Thomas Jensen, certainly, but somehow I have never managed to remedy missing 1 of the 3 originals. I think those two I have do stand up well to later recordings.

Is Nielsen one of the truly great symphonists? Unquestionably. Is he still unsung? Here I dare argue with the master of categories, Alan Howe.

I would not expect many concert halls to put on the Nielsen cycle over a season (an easier proposition than doing the Mahler cycle), there is not seemingly a performing tradition commensurate with the quality of the symphonies, and too many top conductors and orchestras of yesterday and today haven't recorded any of them. I suspect that among classical music fans, Nielsen remains poorly explored territory and maybe even among those who rate him there are many (like me) who (unjustifiably) don't listen to his symphonies that often.

Ditto Paul, ditto. As compared to Sibelius, Nielsen remains a poorly explored territory indeed.

Dave

Quote from: Revilod on Friday 08 November 2013, 17:59
Nielsen is Denmark's greatest composer, of course, yet, on a visit to Copenhagen a few years ago, I was surprised to see that there was no effigy of him in the Madame Tussaud's next to Tivoli. I complained and, to his credit, the attendant knew of Nielsen and agreed that the omission was a "bad mistake".

As much as I love his music, I always feel especially drawn to Nielsen because he seems like such a nice guy! The pictures of him assing around in front of the camera as a boy surely have no parallel:

http://www.fellow.dk/images/Klovnearket.jpg

and as for that story of him splitting his trousers in the presence of the Queen....!

Many years ago at the Baird Music Library at SUNY at Buffalo, I came across a book of Nielsen that contains his pictures along with his quotations (proverbs), and I was amazed how philosophical he was about life, with such a keen sense of perspective that you would not miss learning life lessons from him. He truly took all that life had to offer to him and made the best of it from what I gathered. His music reflects that true and true; how unpretentious or unassuming he was. He reminds me of my late grandmother.

Alan Howe

Try this utterly magnificent performance of Symphony No.1 on YouTube (Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra/Herbert Blomstedt, 2003):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GZi8dFIhaU