'Overtures from the British Isles' (Chandos)

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 29 November 2013, 17:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

sdtom

LateRomantic75

The Bantock and Balfour Gardiner works are especially intriguing! Sadly, sources I've checked indicate that the majority of Balfour Gardiner's works are lost. :(

Great to see Chandos regaining interest in little-known British repertoire after a rather dry spell doubtlessly caused by the tragic deaths of Hickox and Handley. Hopefully this trend will continue! :)

Mark Thomas

There is some duplication here with old Marco Polo releases, but this is a most welcome release.

edurban

Fun, fun, fun.

Just listened to the Hiawatha Ov. in the Adrian Leaper version...good piece, especially for fans of the 3 cantatas.  Maybe it will attract more attention now.  And how about the Hiawatha ballet music, C.T.'s last completed piece (iirc)? 

And Cowen played by a first rate orchestra: finally! 

Mackenzie never seems to come up with the ripe tunes I hope for, but maybe this piece will be different..

David

LateRomantic75

Quote from: edurban on Saturday 30 November 2013, 04:01
Mackenzie never seems to come up with the ripe tunes I hope for, but maybe this piece will be different..

Yes, I have the same general problem with Mackenzie's music. It's certainly pleasant enough, but merely pleasant music has to have memorable tunes for me to return to it with any regularity. I just like more "meat" and "grit" in my music. :)

Jimfin

Well, this is an overture, and the only Mackenzie overtures i know are 'The Cricket on the Hearth' and 'Rule Britannia', both of which are full of memorable tunes (in my opinion: obviously a memorable tune is a subjective matter). The former work is one I can't stop listening to, so lively and fun. Let's hope this new one will be as good.