News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

The sea - for orchestra

Started by M. Henriksen, Monday 10 May 2010, 21:15

Previous topic - Next topic

M. Henriksen

A chilly spring evening here in Norway today (we actually had snow!) made me listen to some dark, autumnal music: Ture Rangströms symphonic poem "Song of the sea". Some great sea-music there, and it made me wonder if there are other gems out there using orchestral colours to describe the coastal- and sea-environment.
My personal favourites are two other Swedish composers:

Hugo Alfvèn: Symphony no. 4 (50 minutes of enchanting orchestral tone-painting) and the symphonic poem "A legend of the Skerries".

Kurt Atterberg: Symphony no. 3 "West Coast Pictures.

I must also mention Jean Cras "Journal de bord". Beautiful stuff!

I also have Paul Gilson "La Mer", Cyril Scotts "Neptune" and Frank Bridge "The Sea" in my collection. But unfortunately I haven't had the time yet to listen to them enough. I guess it will be worth the wait.

Any suggestions!?

Morten

Alan Howe

Debussy beats the lot of them, surely?

M. Henriksen

That work is the most famous at least! That's why I didn't mention it, but I do have a recording with Salonen on Sony. Pretty good one too, but Debussy has never been my favorite for some reason.

albion

There are two other pieces which I would strongly recommend: Glazunov's The Sea, Op.28 (1889) - especially in Neeme Jarvi's recording (http://www.chandos.net/details06.asp?CNumber=CHAN%207049)and Arnold Bax's Tintagel (1917/19) with the Ulster Orchestra and Bryden Thomson (http://www.chandos.net/details06.asp?CNumber=CHAN%2010156)

M. Henriksen

Thanks! Tintagel is indeed a favourite in this house! And I do have the Bryden Thomson recording you refer to. One of many wonderful early Chandos Cd's. I have to admit that I didn't know what Tintagel was all about, but reading some background information makes it all clearer!
I have the Naxos recording of Glazunovs piece but I haven't been thrilled by that one. Could be the recording, how can Golovschin conduct the piece 5 minutes slower than Järvi?

I'm listening to Paul Gilsons "La Mer" at this moment. A particularly good final movement ("La Tempète") in that one!

wunderkind

Any of the works of Guy Ropartz have the sea written into them.

Also, Vincent D'Indy - Poem des Rivages and Diptyque méditerranéen.  Languid, gorgeous music.

chill319

John Alden Carpenter's tone poem "Sea Drift" is a stunning work, in my opinion. A deeply personal aftershock from Debussy's seismic symphony.

mbhaub

In addition to Glazunov's remarkable work (why is that never played in concerts?), there's the lengthy tone poem The Sea by Lithuanian composer Mikalojus Ciurlionis (1875 - 1911). There are two recordings I know of, one, appropriately on the Seven Seas label with the Lithuanian State Symphony, and a Russian Season one with Fedoseyev. Well worth seeking out.

albion

A beautiful work which fits the bill nicely is The Ocean (1920/21) by the American composer Henry Hadley (1871-1937). There is an excellent Naxos recording (8.559064).

Thinking of relevant orchestral excerpts from operas, there are the wonderful Four Sea Interludes from Britten's Peter Grimes. Also Ethel Smyth's The Wreckers contains some glorious sea music - best of all is the Prelude to Act II entitled On the Cliffs of Cornwall (unfortunately this is only available as part of the 1994 Conifer complete recording, sadly deleted).

Alan Howe

Rubinstein 2, perhaps? And I'd forgotten about Tintagel: that's a really great representation of its subject. Bax's greatest work, perhaps?

Syrelius

In addition to Alfvén and Atterberg, one could also mention Gustaf Bengtsson's symphonic poem Vättern. It's not of the same quality as Alfvén's and Atterberg's works, but it's still quite a charming piece of music (available on Sterling). Gösta Nystroem's Sinfonia del Mare is more modern, but still quite accessible.

I'd also like to add Bantock's Hebridean symphony and the slow movement of Moeran's only symphony. There is no sea or lake related title on the last one, but I still think it is one of the best musical pictures of the sea.

M. Henriksen

This is turning into a great list of sea-music!
Just a few comments/questions to your suggestions:

The Ciurlionis tone poem is also recorded by Marco Polo, and seems to be the easiest to get hold of. Is it a recommended one?

Guy Ropartz - How are those symphonies of his recorded by Timpani? Comparable to Jean Cras?

Gustaf Bengtsson - "Vättern". Glad this work was mentioned, because it was actually that symphonic poem that ended my evening of sea-music yesterday. A bit hyper-romantic at times, but just listen to the wonderful waves in the introduction (and at approx 11 min)! I wonder when/if Sterling will record Bengtssons 2 remaining symphonies?

Gösta Nyströms Sinfonia del mare can be accompanied by his symphonic poem "Ishavet" ("Artic Ocean"). A very cold and dark work, but as is mentioned; accessible. I believe BIS has made a decent recording.

Albion! Thanks for the Ethel Smyth tip! New one for me. That old deleted recording is still available on amazon, if I can afford it..

When it comes to John Alden Carpenter and Hadley: Great music, let's do hope Naxos is planning more recordings of those two composers' music!

Morten

Gareth Vaughan

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Vaughan Williams' magnificent Sea Symphony, which I studied for my 'A' Level music course and still find one of the most thrilling pieces of music I know.

M. Henriksen

As you rightly say Gareth, the Sea Symphony is a magnificent work. But not especially unsung together with Debussy's La Mer. Those two are absolutely not forgotten!

thalbergmad

All of this talk is beginning to remind me of a particularly nasty journey to St Kilda from the Outer Hebrides.

Are there any pieces for sea sickness???

Thal