Ilmari Hannikainen: Piano Concerto @ Classic Live

Started by jani, Sunday 15 December 2013, 17:18

Previous topic - Next topic

jani

Ilmari Hannikainen's Piano Concerto in B flat minor was performed on 6th December 2013 in Lahti. Sinfonia Lahti was conducted by Okko Kamu and soloist was Arto Satukangas. This performace seems now to be online at http://www.classiclive.com/Concerts/2013/December/INDEPENDENCE-DAY-GALA-CONCERT-Hannikainen-Piano-Concerto

This is a rare performance of this work.

thalbergmad

Quote from: jani on Sunday 15 December 2013, 17:18
This is a rare performance of this work.

Strangely that appears to be the case. I find it difficult to think of another work that deserves to be heard more often than this.

There is a rich vein of lyricism that seems to run through the blood of the Finnish composers.

Thanks very much for this.

Thal

LateRomantic75

What a simply gorgeous concerto! It's practically tailor-made for my tastes-it's chock full of rich, melancholic romanticism but also atmospheric Impressionism. It, along with the stylistically similar Selim Palmgren PCs, cries out for a modern recording! It's a pity Hannikainen didn't compose more-according to Wikipedia, his only other large-scale works are an opera and a piano quartet.

Gareth Vaughan

It is, indeed, a lovely work. Why not ask Hyperion if they could include it in their RPC series?

Dylan

Interesting though (and depressing?) to see that the plague of instant-applause-between-movements has spread even to musically literate Finland...So it's not just the Proms?

Alan Howe

Perhaps the audience liked the piece so much that they couldn't help themselves. Had I been there, I might have joined in...

Recorddude

This piece is mesmerizing. Really beautiful. I have a Finlandia recording of it with a T.Hannikainen --I  haven't heard it for a long time- will have to compare it- but the video is well produced and is an added bonus.

eschiss1

At a guess, Tauno Hannikainen, 1896-1968, conducting (cellist and conductor) or perhaps the composer, Ilmari Hannikainen, whose full name was Toivo Ilmari Hannikainen (1892-1955), hence, T. Hannikainen.

According to Worldcat it's Ilmari Hannikainen, piano, Tauno Heikki Hannikainen, conductor, Helsingin Kaupunginorkesteri (orchestra).

anssik

The recording was released in a CD-format by the sadly no longer existing Finlandia records in 1991 (FACD 811). It's entitled "Recordings 1957-1976" and includes a number of Hannikainen's works performed by Tapani Valsta; in the concerto he's assisted by Helsinki Philharmonia conducted by Tauno Hannikainen (a brother of Ilmari's). Perhaps copies of it can be found through Amazon or other such sources. I haven't checked this out yet.  Another source tells that the concerto was actually recorded in 1955, but I haven't been able to verify the years.

eschiss1

Ah, I did get the pianist wrong. According to this it was recorded in 1958... (from manuscript). Indeed, Palmgren works from 1957, Sibelius from 1975, Hannikainen solo works from 1972 and 1976. (And yes, "Tapani Valsta, piano ; Helsinki Philharmonic Orchestra, Tauno Hannikainen, conductor (1st work)".)

anssik

The Database of the Finnish Institute of the Recorded Sound, 1901-1999 (http://www.aanitearkisto.fi/firs2/en/index.php) gives 1957 as the year of recording, and I've no reason to doubt this piece of information. I ordered the CD from a local library and am expecting an exciting comparison with Satukangas, Kamu and the Lahti Orchestra. Finnish orchestras in the 50s could sound just about anything, from absolutely horrendous to perfectly decent, but Tapani Valsta was a very respectable pianist (a pupil of I. Hannikainen, in fact), and presumably Finlandia wouldn't have released it if it wasn't at least acceptable. I'm very much looking forward to hearing it.

eschiss1

Thanks for that link; I know of some similar-ish database links for BBC ("Cadensa.bl.uk"), for Czech Radio and for Swedish Radio and Television, it is good to be able to add to the list (or so to say, compile a (small-dimension) database of national radio recording Databases...)