Music about the North by Non-Scandinavian Composers

Started by LateRomantic75, Tuesday 24 December 2013, 21:32

Previous topic - Next topic

LateRomantic75

Apologies for the cumbersome title! Here are a few examples that come to mind:

Bruch: Nordland Suite; Swedish Dances
Marx: Nordland-Rhapsodie (I am DYING to hear this one!)
Sowerby: From the Northland-Impressions of Lake Superior Country (Sowerby lived in the Midwest)
Hanson: Symphony no. 1 Nordic
Francois Casadesus: Symphonie Scandinave

Any other examples?

Alan Howe

Lists, list. lists! Bah, humbug! >:(
Let's have some descriptive comments alongside the suggestions, please. Oh, and happy Christmas  :)!!

minacciosa

Henry Hadley's 4th Symphony "North, East, South, West": it's first movement is North, and it is full of whipping, whirling winds, declamatory brass that surround occasional moments of for boding quiet.

Revilod

I don't know it...so I can't comment on it...so I'm reluctant to mention it in case I'm merely adding to a list...but it is Christmas so perhaps I'll be shown a little mercy...Cowen's "Scandinavian" Symphony.

alberto

Alan Howe

What have all these pieces got to do with the North - apart from their titles?

John H White

I think we must include F H Cowen's Scandinavian Symphony here. Its certainly the best piece of music by him I've heard so far.

Dave

Quote from: LateRomantic75 on Tuesday 24 December 2013, 21:32
Apologies for the cumbersome title! Here are a few examples that come to mind:

Bruch: Nordland Suite; Swedish Dances
Marx: Nordland-Rhapsodie (I am DYING to hear this one!)
Sowerby: From the Northland-Impressions of Lake Superior Country (Sowerby lived in the Midwest)
Hanson: Symphony no. 1 Nordic
Francois Casadesus: Symphonie Scandinave

Any other examples?

Nice list! I especially love the Hanson.  8)
If it qualifies (North is pretty broad), other composers who comes to mind are Bax with his "Winter Legends" and Melartin's "Cherry Blossoms of Japan" from his 24 Preludes.

erato

Antarctica is in the south. Perhaps we could include Elgar's "In the South"?  ;D

And the symphony is Sinfonia Antartica less the c.

Dave

Quote from: erato on Wednesday 25 December 2013, 19:01
Antarctica is in the south. Perhaps we could include Elgar's "In the South"?  ;D

And the symphnony is Sinfonia Antartica less the c.

Yikes (my bad). It's corrected.
Thanks.
:)

eschiss1

Coleridge-Taylor and Walter Niemann (the latter rather further into the early- to mid-20th century) were among composers who wrote Japanese suites, though I am aware that again, these are not "about" the North.

On that subject there's always Dorn's Nibelung opera, which certainly qualifies as much as Wagner's does as an opera about a Nordic legend, yes? (Another that comes to mind, Weir's opera about Harald Hardrada (iirc), is again I admit -far- too late, while Atterberg's opera on the same interesting historical subject is- by a Scandinavian composer- darn, caught by two ends... :D Still, there must be something that qualifies that doesn't get caught in either end of that trap... hrm... ponder... )

alberto

Lalo composed a Fantasie Norvegienne for violin and orchestra and a Rapsodie Norvegienne for Orchestra (the latter recorded even by Ansernet). If I remeber well (I couldn't check now) the two works (sharing thematic material) are built on allegedly Norwegian themes.
Different would be the case of the opera "Cristina, regina di Svezia " by Jacopo Foroni (recently produced -am I wright?- in Wexford).
I don't know if the plot takes place in Sweden or in Italy (maybe in both) and Foroni was like an adopted Swedish.

Alan Howe

As I posted before, it'd be good to know what all these pieces have actually got to do with the North - apart from their titles...

Peter1953

Julius Röntgen visited his good friend Edvard Grieg several times in Norway. Röntgen was impressed by the overwhelming beauty of the Norwegian landscape and enjoyed the many folk tunes of the Norwegians.
He composed Variationen über eine norwegische Volksweise and a Ballade über eine norwegische Volksmelodie, both for orchestra. Lovely is Röntgen's Suite 'Aus Jotunheim', dedicated to Edvard and Nina Grieg on the occasion of their 25th wedding anniversary in 1892, which is a musical translation of the local colour of Jotunheim, home of the giants, and today a national parc.

eschiss1

as to the Foroni, it's based on an episode in the life of Queen Christina Alexandra of Sweden (1626-89), a very important and interesting person (who fictionally plays a part in a novel I was reading, besides, and does so with what I gather is predictable character ;) )

Something doesn't have to be about ice floes, polar bears and (now) extinct great auks (Penguin Island) to be about the North, after all... though since I'm not from there I'm not the best judge of such things either.