The one unsung piano sonata everyone should hear!

Started by LateRomantic75, Monday 30 December 2013, 22:28

Previous topic - Next topic

LateRomantic75

Yes, the Dukas and Medtner (Night Wind) sonatas are fantastic, and close seconds to the Glazunov for me. Another favorite of mine is Howard Hanson's brief but compelling Piano Sonata in A minor, in the composer's signature richly romantic style.

Gareth Vaughan

I agree that the Dreyschock Op. 30 is a "scary" piece for any pianist. I have a copy of the music and would love to hear it played really well - talk about hands and arms flying!

thalbergmad

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Wednesday 01 January 2014, 22:22
I agree that the Dreyschock Op. 30 is a "scary" piece for any pianist.

There are just so many places where one (or should or say I) could lose it completely. I guess it could be played "safe", but that would be entirely missing the point.

Thal

giles.enders

For me it has to be Benjamin Dale's sonata from 1905,  I first heard this in the 1980's and played it a lot and then forgot about it.  More recently I have bought the version with Mark Bebbington playing and have returned to that recording quite a few times.  I think it is the Straussian chromaticism that attracts me to it plus a performance which I like.

LateRomantic75

That's a very fine sonata, Giles. Also deserving of mention are Edward MacDowell's four epic sonatas, especially the atmospheric and dramatically charged Third (Norse) and Fourth (Keltic).

In retrospect, if Rachmaninov's First Sonata could qualify as "unsung", I would have nominated it over the Glazunov. It's certainly the equal of his much more famous Second Sonata in its blazing passion and monumentality.

Dave

Medtner's "Night Wind" sonata (1910/11), is especially a fine piece, although the problem is that my mind tends to wander about midway in it. The writing is rather too dense for me.  But I do like the "Sonata-reminiscenza" in A minor a good deal more for its reflectiveness (Irina Ossipova under Arte Nova strikes the perfect tempo and tone for my taste).

Rachmaninoff's arresting First Sonata ought to be better known, but no way would I put that above Glazunov's. But the Dale piece I got to get into again. Turina's Sonata romántica & Sonata Fantasíais are worthy mentions in my book.

eschiss1

Dave- re Medtner Night Wind: that's one reason I'm still hoping to hear an (uncut?) (and commercially available, preferably, I guess) version of the sonata at least as good as Ogdon's, whose account is one of the few that doesn't do that to me; but when it is played much more than just well enough, I can hardly help but think it deserves inclusion on this list and as the only work I should include on it (even though such a performance/recording is rare).
I'll give the Glazunov another try too and see if I can overcome my skepticism (for all that I rate the composer).

Dave

I have Milne's recording of Medtner's work and find it well done (though perhaps Hamelin's approach might alter my view of the work in a more positive (or welcoming) light given the chance to hear it).

Please let us know what you think of Glazunov's Sonata (I for one am curious). Listening to Rachmaninoff's First last night, I kind of see where LateRomantic75 was coming from. Rachmaninoff can be mawkish in places, but brother (or sister), he is brilliant, and not in anyway that's superficial or facile (although the variation second movement of Trio Élègiaque is pretty dull, but that's perhaps another topic) .

eschiss1

That said, I look over the list of Romantic-era/slightly-extended-Romantic-era piano sonatas - even just among the sublist of those uploaded to IMSLP (using the category walker to narrow things down a bit there from just the Sonatas category) - that I don't yet know, that I haven't yet heard, and consider which of them might yet, sometime, if I'm lucky enough to hear it, --- if not usurp the crowns off my favorite sonatas sung and unsung for the piano, but challenge them far better than I suppose sound unheard. Such a pleasantly long list of possible discoveries one hopes to be able to make... apologies again for basically contentless digression.

minacciosa

Definitely Medtner's Op.25 No.2 "Night Wind". I think it's a crystal clear piece of writing; the motives are laid out plainly on the first page, and then subjected to ceaselessly inspired development throughout the two movements. What might confuse some is that the two movements both have the weight of a traditional first movement sonata form. Both movements use the same material, but while the composer takes that material in all new directions in the second movement, the material's derivation is always recognizable. For me it is riveting from beginning to end, the composer's imagination being a thing of wonder.

Also, Glazunov No.2, and Myaskovsky's 2nd and 3rd Sonatas.

Martin Eastick

It is very difficult for me to settle on just ONE sonata on this thread, but having thought long and hard, I would nominate Stenhammar's wonderful G minor work of 1890! This is a most accomplished attempt for a 19 year old and, in my opinion, offers much from someone yet so young! The opening statement in the first movement makes a wonderful sweeping statement, full of passion and drama, which is well-contrasted to the much more relaxed second subject. The fiery tension in the coda makes an exciting finish (quite a challenge from a performer's viewpoint, speaking from experience!). The second movement is a rather exquisite tone poem, full of Nordic colour, and manages to maintain its distance from Grieg etc. Perhaps the Scherzo movement is slightly weaker musically (I don't think so), but the finale again perfectly conveys a fine balance between Stenhammar's Nordic melancholy, as demonstrated in the opening tenor melody, and the more affirmative material he later introduces. The rather spectacular and hectic coda provides a strong finish - no chance at all of a weak 4th movement as can be the case with some of the lesser-knowns!

Having performed this work a number of times now (over the past 25 years!), I have to say this has always been well-received, and is good music!

minacciosa

I want to mention Frank Bridge's amazing Piano Sonata, a riveting, searing composition that was the first manifestation of the composer's advanced mature style. Except I'm unsure how unsung Bridge is now. When I began playing his violin sonata in the late 80's it was a different story.

Alan Howe

...and the Bridge is outside our remit - sorry! (Amazing piece that it is.)

ahinton

Alan Howe