Zitterbart...a "new" old posting

Started by Ken P, Friday 14 February 2014, 10:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken P

David,

This is in response to your posting on: Sunday 03 March 2013, 16:42.
Being new to Unsung Composers I couldn't reply when I was supposed to...

I cannot make any statements regarding Zitterbart's string quartets but I surely can regarding his piano trios as I have copies of all of them...even the hacked up 'Scotch Suite' that was published.  All of the published material from the 1930s (some 15 years) after his demise was butchered.  The "original" manuscript version of the Scotch Suite is a delightful 5 movement romp that appears easy to the eye but is in fact rather tricky to play, this is especially true of the fugue in the last movement.  The published version is reduced to 4 movements, changed keys, removed measures and phrases and in places rescored.  The original manuscript has rich harmonies, delightfully flowing themes (some are quite Scotch in fact) that paint visual pictures to the listener.  His C.E.D. piano trio written for his grandson "CEDric" is probably the closest to a Kindertrio written by an American, at least from that time period.  The CED is equal in difficult to the more advanced  kindertrios by M. Klengel.  The "Pastoral Trio" is again a visually provoking composition.  In the third movement, "The Mill" one cannot help but see water pouring down the sluice and merrily slapping its way over the spinning water wheel in order to grind the wheat. 

In fact, these trios (including the first four which are truly Grand in nature) are wonderful compositions which run the gamut in difficulty.  Some are listed as "amateur;" although way I haven't a clue since the musical language is quite complex.  Zitterbart was unusually fond of 9ths and 10ths (piano score) and in many cases almost cruel to the pianist with awkward chords, runs etc.  However, from everything I have read and in one case heard (from a now deceased family member), F. Zitterbart was also a virtuoso on the piano, not just the violin.  In short, his trios (there are about 28) are well written, playable, flowing, compositions with rich and at times strange harmonies.  It would be interesting to revive more of his music.  Heaven knows there is enough to select from...well over 1500.

edurban

Thanks, Ken!  What an unexpected, colorful and detailed post...let's hope it's not as close as I ever get to hearing the trios themselves...

David

Ken P

The Brinkler Trio has tried to include one Zitterbart trio on all of their concerts.