Raff Piano Music Vol.4

Started by Mark Thomas, Tuesday 18 February 2014, 13:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

Grand Piano should be releasing volume 4 of Tra Nguyen's survey of Raff's piano music at the beginning of April. Here's a taster of what's on offer.

On GP653 Tra plays four works, of which by far the largest is the early set of 12 Romances en forme d'études Op.8, which date from 1843, when Raff was 21 years old and still employed as a school teacher in Switzerland. This is an inventive and melodious collection, which has a winning combination of pianistic virtuosity and, sometimes, delightful naivety. The Raff web site has a page on this set, although the performances there are not the quality of Tra's, of course, but a good electronic realisation of the score. The other four works are all mature Raff from the 1860s and 70s: La Cicerenella Op.165 is a scintillating set of variations (it packs thirteen of them into its 8 minutes), providing fireworks aplenty. The start of the piece can be heard in the above link. In contrast, the two pieces from Op.166: Idylle and La champêtre are utterly charming - Raff at his melodious best. Finally, there's the tumultuous Allegro Agitato Op.151, another virtuoso barnstormer.

FBerwald

What a sample...... Cant wait for this one....

Gareth Vaughan

How lovely! The Op. 8 set is delicious and I look forward to getting to know the other pieces. Well done, Tra.

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

Here's another short taster - part of the first of the Douze romances en forme d'études Op.8.

Mark Thomas

Here's a short video introduction to vol.4 from Tra.

Peter1953

Just a short note to let friends know that I tremendously enjoy listening to this new CD full of pianistic treasures. And it is an old discussion: wasn't Raff really not a piano virtuoso? I suppose he played his compositions himself as well. It varies between very tender and full of fire.
This disc is an absolute winner, just like the volumes 1, 2 and 3. Superbly played by Tra Nguyen, excellent notes by Mark.
Good lord, who is now my favourite unsung composer? Since decades it is Rubinstein. But now I am really in doubt. This disc does it.
Very warmly recommended!

Mark Thomas

Thanks for the kind words, Peter. No, Raff was no virtuoso. Indeed, he was an indifferent pianist and as far as I know gave only two recitals, both in the early 1840s. According to his daughter, he didn't routinely compose at the piano, either.

Volume 5 will be out in the new year, I believe.

TerraEpon

<Mr. Burns> Excellent </Me. Burns>

Though I have yet to get this one....the preview sounds great as always.