If You Had To Be Stuck On An Island W/One Piano Concerto...

Started by J Joe Townley, Thursday 20 February 2014, 02:44

Previous topic - Next topic

J Joe Townley

which would it be?

This assumes an unknown concerto. Mine would be the Saint-Saens Piano Concerto No 1.

JimL

eschiss1

Leaving well-known or pre-/post-Romantic concertos out of the question (otherwise I'd have to try to decide which one of Mozart's last 11 or so concertos I could not do without - would probably come down to 14, 16, 17 or 24) - I think I might (still with difficulty) decide to go for the Italian Giuseppe Martucci's piano concerto no.2 in B-flat minor (1884-5) even though I've yet to hear it in live concert. The finale has a certain abandon about it rhythmically and sometimes feels forward-thinking harmonically, the first movement (e.g.) has a secure-feeling but not hackneyed form (with e.g. what seems an opening slightly inspired by Schumann's concerto maybe, possibly, (but following a brief orchestral announcement with a piano-solo passage (brief written-out cadenza of sorts?) rather than the other way around.)) (And I, at least, find the concluding pages of both outer movements very satisfying...)

Mark Thomas

Rubinstein's Fifth, without a doubt. It's not the greatest Piano Concerto in the world by any means, but there is a craggy grandeur to it which I find irresistible.

Gareth Vaughan

FBerwald

alberto

I like all the works already listed.
Choosing a new name, I would opt for the tuneful and well crafted Castillon Piano Concerto.

Martin Eastick

Although a most difficult final choice, I would settle for Scharwenka No2 - although Moszkowski No2 & Henselt come a close joint second!

FBerwald

@alberto. Amazing choice. How could I have forgotten the Castillon concerto. :)

thalbergmad

I would prefer just to take my banjo, but if it had to be a PC, it would have to be the Rozycki 1st.

I simply cannot survive without it.

Thal

mbhaub

I'm taking the concerto by conductor Evgeny Svetlanov. It might not have been written in the correct UC time period, but it sure sounds like it was.

Peter1953

My choice would be the Piano Concerto in F minor, op. 6 by Karel Kovaƙovic.

Alan Howe

Probably Draeseke's - an ambitious attempt to combine the flamboyant pianism of Liszt with the symphonic strength of Beethoven. Wonderfully over the top, it nevertheless has a slow movement of real beauty and profundity.

J Joe Townley

Very good choices, gentlemen. I got some good recommendations I didn't even know about (not surprising since there are 100,000 "unsung" piano concertos out there) Scharwenka seems to be the most popular composer and I didn't even know Moszkowski wrote a 2nd one. I know his E Major and played it in my "performing days" as a teen piano student.

I stumbled onto this remarkable concerto and would like to share it. One well-known pianist describes it as "apocalyptic" and i think you'll see why if you listen to about 5 minutes of it. It has the score and has been beautifully rendered. The problem is I think it's unplayable. But judge for yourselves:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LZPBMT6XnI

FBerwald

The Moszkowski E Major is the 2nd Piano Concerto as it turns out. The 1st in B minor? was just recently discovered and discussed in different post.... I wonder what became of it? Wasn't it supposed to be premiered last year?