Glazunov Violin Concerto conundrum

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 20 May 2009, 22:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

OK: Grove 4 has two entries, as follows:

- Vol.2: "Op.73 Violin Concerto in A minor" (wrong opus number)
- Supp. Vol: "Op.82 Violin Concerto in A" (wrong key)

I suggest that these two entries actually refer to the same work. Glazunov's Op.73 is in fact his Solemn Overture for orchestra (1900). The (single) entry should read:

"Op.82 Violin Concerto in A minor"

It is surely a case of two wrong entries - or maybe the VC originally had a different opus number which was later changed. At all events, there is absolutely no mention anywhere of another VC - see this full list of his works:

http://home.wanadoo.nl/ovar/glazun.htm

JimL

I think this is more a Grove's issue than a Glazunov issue.  However, that mention over in the last thread about the Goldmark VC 2 was glossed over rather lightly.  That is indeed news that it exists in MS form somewhere.  And it must have still been extant when that entry in the Grove's was made, or else how could they have known about it?  We had a little back-and-forth about it a few years ago in the last Forum...

Hey, wait a minute!  Maybe the editors of the Grove's know where it is!

FBerwald

It's quite possible that the manuscripts exist somewhere. take for example the case of Moscheles Piano Concerto No. 8 only the solo piano part exists with no orchestral part so it couldn't be recorded.

Here is an exerpt from the Hyperion Romantic Piano Concerto Vol. 36 - the producers note "It is unclear whether the orchestral parts were ever published – though they are listed in at least one catalogue – but the work was performed several times by both Moscheles and Mendelssohn so performance material must have existed, possibly in several copies. It seems likely that this material may still exist, possibly in a library uncatalogued or in the hands of a private collector.Unfortunately several years of searching major libraries across Europe and the USA has failed to turn up any orchestral material for Moscheles' last concerto."
See what i mean.

There is also the case of Bortkiewicz - Many of his works were bought in auction by a Japanese Billionaire and is currently in his private collection (God only knows for what!!!) so many of his "lost" Op' might remain lost for quite some time.

In case of the Goldmark I feel its just that nobody has taken pains to research about his 2nd concerto.. but then may be it's just my opinion. I must mention it's more than just a case of curiosity about 'this' concerto, since the 1st is absolutely stunning I feel the second might be equaly good if not better!