News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

A concerto with no name

Started by thalbergmad, Thursday 03 April 2014, 21:04

Previous topic - Next topic

thalbergmad

Amongst the most recent pile of old stuff I bought from e bay was a handwritten piano concerto. The seller had no idea who had written it and the sheets themselves give no clue as to the composer. In addition, it is imcomplete. Here are photos of the first 3 pages.

Six bottles of Speckled Hen to whoever can name the composer.

Luv

Thal

semloh

Speckled Hen?? Darn it! I knew I should have learnt how to read music.  :(

Intriguing - it will be interesting to see who identifies it...

thalbergmad

I have someone who knows the tune but cannot remember the composer. This is as mystery that I feel will be solved.

Thal

kolaboy

If it were the Tausig I'd buy EVERYONE here a bottle of Speckled Hen.

thalbergmad

I fear not. The general consensus thus far is that it is British around 1930's.

Thal

Alan Howe

Quote...I'd buy EVERYONE here a bottle of Speckled Hen

Saw the Speckled Hen delivery lorry a couple of days ago and thought my luck was in. Then realised I hadn't even made a guess as to the identity of this PC  ;)

mjkFendrich

QuoteThe general consensus thus far is that it is British around 1930's.

Perhaps John Foulds' Dynamic Triptych ??  At least the rhythm reminds me of that work.

vicharris

Not that great at reading music without a piano to try it on, but first phrase seems reminiscent of Joseph Marx Pf Cto No. 1?

vicharris

Really bad at it, not it as per IMSLP. Sorry

JimL

Hardly the Marx, Vic.  If it's the E Major concerto you're referring to, take a look at the key signature of the MS.  D minor or F Major.  I'm willing to bet D minor, from what I can see of the score.

eschiss1

This is assuming it's the very opening of the score, not of one of the movements, which it's impossible to tell from a partial MS, isn't it?... also, erm... is this an "already known piece" of which this is an ms (autograph, copy, whatever, but ms) fragment, and hence the guessing game?
I had had the impression from the opening post that this could be a new piece entirely.
Sorry about the silly questions from this corner, as always :(
Eric

thalbergmad

The pictures I have posted were the first 3 pages of the first movement. There are 3 movements in total, the last being incomplete.

Thal

eschiss1

... hrm.

The style doesn't look like 1930s British to me, but more late 19th-century Romantic, btw, in a restrained sort of way.  (But the opening Eingang looks/sounds-on-humming, very familiar to me, somehow.)

3 movements, last movement incomplete... that in itself rings a bell, too.  What D minor concerto have I heard of of which that's true... hrm. Going to go cheat with Google, alas and alack if not with alack-rity...

BerlinExpat

The composer has written "ORCHESTRA", so that rules out quite a lot I should think! English or Italian? Can a PDF of the first three pages be made available so one can play it?

matesic

The tune in the orchestral part is uncannily like the scherzo of Brahms's second concerto. A very fair copy of a 2-piano reduction - do you think it might be a competition piece? If so it was probably disqualified for plagiarism. Was it actually left unfinished, or is the ms just missing its final pages? Odd that there's no tempo indication. Apart from English and Italian, I believe there's another large English-speaking nation that could be considered, but I'm guessing Thal bought it from an English seller. Another nationality clue - I think I recognize the printed logo on the third page but can't blow it up large enough to read.