News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Hiller Reviewed at Last!

Started by JimL, Friday 22 May 2009, 00:49

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

This review was finally posted on MusicWeb International.

I'm pleased to say that I'm the guy who notified Len that this CD needed a review.  Not a bad review, although I wish he had plugged the 3rd Concerto a little more - that one was the real find for me (although I already knew the 2nd).  In any event, if you have a favorite CD (like the Bortkiewicz PC 2 & 3) that goes unreviewed on MusicWeb International for a while, if you notify Len Mullenger he will see to it that it gets into a reviewer's hands.

P.S. Mark, if it isn't kosher to do this, I'm counting on you to let me know.  ;)

P.P.S. The Bortkiewicz was just tossed out as an example.  Actually, Rob Barnett has already given it a glowing review here.

Mark Thomas

A rather "flat" review, I thought, for three works which I wasn't over-impressed with when I first played the CD but which, in the case of Nos.2 & 3 particularly, have grown on me over the intervening months. The Third is a pretty fine work overall.

As for quoting the review in full, Jim, I think a simple link and summary would have sufficed and especially as I know that Len Mullenger is rightly very protective of his copyright. So I've changed your post accordingly.

Peter1953

Hiller... I have known his PC2 for a long time. Not breathtaking, however pleasant to hear occasionally. Although I prefer an elegant introduction of the orchestra before the piano enters, I like the refreshing opening because it is unusual for concertos from that era. (Yes I know. Beethoven was a Giant, a pioneer full of will-power, breaking new grounds). But his PC's 1&3... A bit disappointing, even after playing the disc for a few times over the past months. 

Let me put it on a fairly simple, arbitrary and very subjective way clear. On a scale from 1 (horrifying) to 20 (heavenly) Hiller's #1 gets 8 points, #2 12 points and #3 10 points. This is based only on my personal listening pleasure.
Some other examples: Medtner #2 8 points (I don't dare to mention 1&3) but Rachmaninov's #1 16 points, #2 18 points, #3 14 points and #4 8 points (Rachmaninov's PC's 1&2 belong to my PC favourites).
I have ordered Bortkiewicz's PC's 2&3 and I can only hope Bortkiewicz's PC's are in the mould of Rachmaninov and not Medtner...Sorry to all Medtner lovers, but it's not to my taste...  ;)

But we're discussing Hiller. One day I'd like to start a thread on Heller.

Alan Howe

Don't worry, Peter, The Bortkiewicz PCs are much more like Rachmaninov than Medtner!

Yes, why not start another thread on Heller? It'll make me listen again to his very interesting Piano Sonata on Romantic Discoveries recordings.

Gareth Vaughan

In fact, Heller wrote 4 piano sonatas. The scores of all four can be downloaded from IMSLP. Which one is on the Romantic Discoveries disk, Peter? Is that recording still available? I've never heard any of the sonatas, though, looking at the scores, they don't strike me as particularly inspired - unlike his shorter pieces, which I admire greatly. But hearing a really committed performance can make all the difference to a score which, on the page, looks a bit dull.

Alan Howe

It's Heller's Piano Sonata No.2 in B minor on the RD disc - I ought to listen to it again, although I must say that the quality of the recording is a major barrier (boxy, living-room acoustic and a hiss level which goes up and down according to how loud the music is - peculiar, but the other CD I have from this source is the same.)

Peter1953

Gareth, you can surf to http://rdr.johnkersey.org/ and you will find some interesting information on Romantic Discoveries (piano only).

Gareth Vaughan

Thanks, Peter and Alan. I know of John Kersey, and bought some of his disks a few years ago. The playing was good, if a little uninvolved, and the recording, while hardly demonstration quality, quite acceptable - nothing like as bad as you make the Heller sound, Alan. I must say that does put me off rather, in spite of the interesting repertoire. And the CDs aren't cheap at £13.99 each.

Amphissa

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Friday 22 May 2009, 21:55
Thanks, Peter and Alan. I know of John Kersey, and bought some of his disks a few And the CDs aren't cheap at £13.99 each.

Quite the understatement. At more than $22, plus shipping, I doubt U.S. sales will ever take off.