News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Frederick Corder

Started by Jimfin, Saturday 19 November 2011, 13:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimfin

Does anyone know of much that has been performed, or does anyone have any music of this composer? I know the 'Prospero' overture from Hyperion and the extract from 'Nordisa', but I would like to know more. He seems to be a lesser known Stanford. Pupils he taught at the RAM seem to include (please add more):

John McEwen (1868-1948)
Granville Bantock (1868-1946)
W.H. Reed (1875-1942)
Joseph Holbrooke (1878-1958)
Arnold Bax (1883-1953)
York Bowen (1884-1961)
Benjamin Dale (1885-1943)
Montague Phillips (1885-1969)
Eric Coates (1886-1957)
Alan Bush (1900-95)

He surely deserves some more exposure.

Phillip21

Sorry to be so slow responding to this - which I have only just come across.  The lack of available scores by Corder is a mystery.  Given his education in Germany and his work at the RAM he must surely have written more than is listed in the Wikipedia worklist.  For example, I have seen reference to a cornet concerto written for Celian Kottaun and performed with Corder's Brighton Aquarium orchestra. 

I can shed a little light on his piano style however, as I have just uploaded to YouTube his unpublished transcription of Grieg's song 'Ragna' (one of twelve arrangements) - which shows his Lisztian leanings: http://youtu.be/ZuohnRlZXRk

eschiss1

have (since 2011, and thanks to Matesic) heard Corder's Elegy, posted and recorded on IMSLP...

Jimfin

Thank you both for that information: I had almost forgotten I'd posted this. I shall investigate further.