News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Sacheverell Coke

Started by FBerwald, Saturday 05 June 2010, 09:04

Previous topic - Next topic

FBerwald

While reading the reviews of Macdowell's Piano concerto, I came across the name of a composer who seems to have written 6 piano concertos "..under the influence of Rachmaninov..". The name is R Sacheverell Coke. I googled it to find only bits and pieces of info on this composer (Even his name is confusing... some list him as Richard, others Roger!!!) Has anyone heard any works by this composer........the aforementioned piano concertos?????

thalbergmad

I understand only the 3rd concerto was published and by the composer himself. If memory serves, he was rather well off.

A couple of years ago I came across the score that the composer had signed himself and thankfully, i bought it. My sight reading is not the best, but to me it is in the Rachmaninov vein with a touch of Bowen.

No idea why this has not been recorded. Perhaps the people in charge of his estate are not interested.

Thal

Alan Howe

If the music were available, Dutton would seem to be the perfect label...

edurban

Only 11 storage rooms.  Well, at least there's a place to keep scores, sheet music and cds...

Thanks, thalbergmad.  Quite a find, that.

David

Gareth Vaughan

I have begun research on Roger Sacheverell Coke and hope to visit the Coke-Steel Archive at Chesterfield Library later this year. His sister, Betty Darwin, gave his MSS and music papers to Derbyshire County Records Office after his death in 1972. At that time the County Council was housed in Alfreton Hall. This was sold some years ago and, at that time, the Coke-Steel Archive was moved to Chesterfield Library where - like the Emanuel Moor Archive in Victoria Music Library - it has languished uncatalogued, because the money is not available to employ anyone to catalogue it. A typed list of its contents was made at the time of its being presented, though the librarian at Chesterfield believes this to be inaccurate. The only piano concertos listed are No 4 (MS Full Score & Parts); No. 5 - slow movt. only (MS Score & Parts); No. 3 - two-piano score only (published by Chappells at the composer's expense). The apparent absence of the full orchestral score of No. 3 is particularly upsetting, since it was clearly a work the composer rated highly, otherwise he would not have had the two-piano score published. The MS Full Score and parts of one of his 3 symphonies (Np. 2) is also listed. There is a VC in full score and full scores and parts of 2 vocal concertos; also all the orchestral and vocal material for his opera "The Cenci". I have been in touch with his cousin who is pretty certain that there is no other repository of his music. The loss of the symphonies and piano concerti is very dispiriting.

ahinton

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Monday 14 June 2010, 10:38
I have begun research on Roger Sacheverell Coke and hope to visit the Coke-Steel Archive at Chesterfield Library later this year. His sister, Betty Darwin, gave his MSS and music papers to Derbyshire County Records Office after his death in 1972. At that time the County Council was housed in Alfreton Hall. This was sold some years ago and, at that time, the Coke-Steel Archive was moved to Chesterfield Library where - like the Emanuel Moor Archive in Victoria Music Library - it has languished uncatalogued, because the money is not available to employ anyone to catalogue it. A typed list of its contents was made at the time of its being presented, though the librarian at Chesterfield believes this to be inaccurate. The only piano concertos listed are No 4 (MS Full Score & Parts); No. 5 - slow movt. only (MS Score & Parts); No. 3 - two-piano score only (published by Chappells at the composer's expense). The apparent absence of the full orchestral score of No. 3 is particularly upsetting, since it was clearly a work the composer rated highly, otherwise he would not have had the two-piano score published. The MS Full Score and parts of one of his 3 symphonies (Np. 2) is also listed. There is a VC in full score and full scores and parts of 2 vocal concertos; also all the orchestral and vocal material for his opera "The Cenci". I have been in touch with his cousin who is pretty certain that there is no other repository of his music. The loss of the symphonies and piano concerti is very dispiriting.
All most interesting; never assume, however, that "loss" in such instances necessarily means "loss" - I have found from time to time that all manner of things turn up, sometimes in the least expected places and when one least expects them to do so! If, for example, anyone here is prepared to own up to ownership of Sorabji's Toccata III for piano, I'd be most interested...

thalbergmad

Yep, I have got it. Give us a crate of Stella and its yours.

Well done to Gareth for his investigations. He is the Sherlock of the Score World.

Back to the composer, I have read on another Forum that Coke visited Rachmaninov at Lucerne and Rachmaninov visited Coke at his place. From what I read the appreciation was not mutual and Rachmaninov did not care for his works. No idea if this is true or what indeed Rach heard.

Thal

Gareth Vaughan

Thanks for the encouragement, Alistair. One lives in hope...

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteBack to the composer, I have read on another Forum that Coke visited Rachmaninov at Lucerne and Rachmaninov visited Coke at his place. From what I read the appreciation was not mutual and Rachmaninov did not care for his works. No idea if this is true or what indeed Rach heard.

What forum was that, please? That's interesting. I didn't know Coke and Rachmaninov had met.

Alan Howe

I found this reference to their meeting on another forum:
Rachmaninov was a profoundly religious man, apparently. His great friend was that superb pianist Benno Moiseiwitsch, though they did not meet often because of their tight schedules. Several English composers have been labeled as being 'the English Rachmaninov' but the one most influenced by him was Roger Sacheverell Coke, 1912-1972. Coke was Lord of the Manor of Pinxton. He visited the great composer at his summer home on Lake Lucerne in the 'thirties, and Rach visited him at his home, Brookhill Hall, on at least one occasion when he was over in England giving recitals. Coke played his own Piano Sonata No.2, G major, Op.26 to the Maestro, but Rach was less than impressed. I have a copy of this and much else by R.S. Coke. He was certainly a great devotee of Rachmaninov's music and this is often reflected in his piano writing which is never anything other than difficult.
http://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=16529.0

I also found this reference:
The village has been associated with the Coke family since 1558 when Richard Coke married Mary Sacheverel of Kirkby Old Hall. This Tudor Manor House was demolished in 1963. The Rev D´Ewes Coke moved into Brookhill Hall in 1771 and the family lived there until the last lord of the manor, Roger Sacheverell Coke died in 1972. Roger Coke was a talented composer and a friend of Rachmaninov, who visited the Hall.
http://www.mail-archive.com/nottsgen-l@rootsweb.com/msg04249.html

thalbergmad

Indeed that is the quote I was referring to.

Definately worth investigating this chap.

Thal

JimL

And worth pondering over other possible repositories of his scores! :D

Pengelli

I'm sure we all look forward to the results of your research Gareth. If the results are,in an way, positive,maybe it would be possible to get Hyperion or Chandos interested. His name seems to pop up in reviews of York Bowen,and similair fare on Musicweb now and again. It is terrible,how these scores get mislaid. But this is what happens,I suppose,when fashions change & people lose interest.
Have these works been performed in public? If so,where,and by whom? It is interesting that he was referred to as the English Rachmaninov. York Bowen apears to be the current contender. If Coke's works were available,and of similair quality,they might have the same level of appeal. What a pity.

eschiss1

Maybe it's worth performing the 3rd concerto as a 2-piano score (I see there's a copy at the LoC and no doubt elsewhere and someone mentioned having a copy) - even if a conjectural orchestral reconstruction would be folly, it might possibly be worthwhile? Just itself conjecture on my part. (Or MIDI?)