Oswald and Napoleão Piano Concertos

Started by alharris, Friday 11 July 2014, 17:47

Previous topic - Next topic

alharris

This is a very intriguing upcoming release on Hyperion. Two composers about whom I know nothing, Henrique Oswald and Alfredo Napoleão:

http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/al.asp?al=CDA67984

FBerwald

TerraEpon

I got excioted for a second as I know of a Napoleão who was a good friend of Gottschalk and arranged some of the later's music....but a quick Google makes it seems as if they were not the same person....wonder if they are related, or is Napoleão a common Brazillian name?

thalbergmad

The Napoleao was broadcast on Radio 3 a couple of weeks ago. If Chopin took steroids he might have composed something similar.

I have not as yet studied the Oswald score, but I do intend to give it a run through.

Thal

Mykulh

Alberto Nepomuceno (1864-1920)'s Symphony in G minor (1893) and Henrique Oswald (1852-1931)'s Symphony, Op. 43 (1910) were issued on LP in the 1960s on the Brazilian Festa label. As I recall, both were very attractive works.

Alan Howe

This is certainly an adventurous release. Very intriguing.

eschiss1

The Nepomuceno symphony is in our archives, I think. It -is- a really good piece, I think...

jameswesthead

The upcoming Hyperion recording of the Oswald Piano Concerto was broadcast, complete, on Classic FM on 10th July at 8pm in a program devoted to Brazilian music. I happened to be listening in  my car at the time and was intrigued. However, I found the piece to be dull as ditchwater, with little melodic interest, although I have to confess to finishing my journey before the 3rd movement got underway. A pity I found it so uninteresting, though Hyperion have t be congratulated for a thoroughly unusual disc.

giles.enders

The release date for these two concertos is October 1st 1014

FBerwald

"If Chopin took steroids "  ? Could you clarify? :D

Gauk

Similar to the old description of some Soviet composers as "Tchaikovsky and benzadrine".

semloh

It would be good to hear some opinions as to the merits of the CD once it falls into members' hands. I am hoping that James's 'in-car' impressions are an artefact of the stresses of driving!  :)

Alan Howe

Love the excerpts at Hyperion's website! This'll be high-up on my wants list.

Alan Howe

The Oswald is quite a heavy, serious Germanic piece. It's the Napoleão PC2 that's the gem here - a most attractive work along the lines of Saint-Saëns or Godard. Its opening is almost operatic in its feel (a bit like a verismo prelude or intermezzo). Anyway, it may not be especially subtle, but it's really lovely - and memorable.

To sum up: buy this CD!!!

FBerwald

I wonder if they will do Napoleão's Piano Concerto No. 1 & Oswald's Op. 28